THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Trigger lightening or replacement for Rem. 870?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Trigger lightening or replacement for Rem. 870?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hastings has a gold trigger replacement trigger group complete with steel guard- that's the one you want.

Additionally, you can try various factory trigger groups as the trigger pull characteristics varies widely from one to the next- keep trying until you find a "sweet one".

I am doubting you can improve much on one ragged hole at 100 yds with 12 gauge slugs... Pretty good IMHO.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want you to think I'm crazy

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
In my area many counties are shotgun only for deer. I use my Rem. 870 which shoots Lightfield sabot slugs so well (ragged hole at 100 yrd.s) with a Leupold scope & Hamilton barrel that it has occurred to me that the gun's heavy trigger pull is probably a limiting factor. Does anyone know of a replacement trigger or trigger lightening procedure for the 870?

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get it to a Gunsmith.
It's not the cost of the parts, You don't want any 12ga slugs going astray.

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Canjar made a drop in unit at one time, but I haven't seen one advertised in quit a long time.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way to lighten and uncreep the trigger is to reduce the sear engagement. Whether you want to tackle it yourself or not depends on how handy you are. If you can take apart the trigger assembly, put it back together and it still works, I'd say go for it. The sear and hammer on an 870 are not expensive to replace if you totally screw the pooch.

The hammer pin is staked and doesn't take well to being reinstalled. You are better off putting in a new one.

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote