THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Can a double shotgun be taken apart and put back together?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a double shotgun be taken apart and put back together?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The reason I ask is because I would like a sxs double barrel shotgun for shooting deer with slugs. From what I have read it is nearly impossible to find a shotgun that has barrels from the factory which are close in POI enough to make shooting slugs viable.
I've heard of double barrels comming apart in the hot bath for reblueing if the the temp gets entirely too hot.
So I figure that if they can come apart, it should be possible to put them back together.
I have plenty of time to experiment and work on it, and I spend a fair amount of time with my friend who is a gunsmith. Though this kind of thing is not something he normally does.
They have to get those double rifles lined up somehow.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The process is called regulation and is one of the reasons DR's cost what they do.

Proper procedure is to take the gun to the range...

"Regulating a double rifle, to have both barrels hit within a specified area at 100 or 150 meters, was a gun maker´s nightmare. After the barrels were made and fitted as best that could be done, the rifle was taken to the range and fired with the specified load for which the new rifle was to be regulated. After firing, the barrels would have to be readjusted and re-soldered and fire again, and again…. and again. the process was only stopped when the proper regulation of the barrels was achieved. Firing expensive, high intensity cartridges was a tedious and expensive part of the final manufacturing process."

Sometimes slugs in a double can be regulated by filing the muzzle, but I wouldn't do this on an expensive gun, maybe a beater.

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've heard of double barrels comming apart in the hot bath for reblueing if the the temp gets entirely too hot.

Bluing is done just a touch over 300deg. So it isn't the heat as much as it is the bluing chemicals working on the solder. Found out the hard way years ago when I first started bluing. Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to use your SxS for slugs, just mount a separate sight on each barrel Big Grin

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem that you will have is that a sxs shot gun unlike a sxs rifle has no "key" between the two barrels that you can easily alter. You would in most cases be removing metal from the ribs or from the barrels themselves at the muzzle.

The only guns that came regulated were such as Holland's Paradox, Lancaster's Jungle Gun, Westley's Faunetta.

However some Italian makers such as Famars or Fabarm make sxs doubles supposeedly "regulated" for slug but I don't know what the grouping guarantee is.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
If you want to use your SxS for slugs, just mount a separate sight on each barrel Big Grin

Sights? He don't need no stinking sights, use buckshot!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just make the first one count and don't worry about it. If you hit it with a slug, there should be no need for a follow up...

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I have to do some research.
Maybe I could get a cheap used gun to practice on.

quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
The problem that you will have is that a sxs shot gun unlike a sxs rifle has no "key" between the two barrels that you can easily alter. You would in most cases be removing metal from the ribs or from the barrels themselves at the muzzle.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
Sounds like I have to do some research.
Maybe I could get a cheap used gun to practice on.

quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:

Most modern SxS are brazed or high temp silver soldered..

Even in the older guns, the Belgium made SxS where brazed while the English were "soft soldered".

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the ACGG still has a tape for sale "Gunsmithing techniques of Bill Nittler"

Lots of information re seperating/soldering barrels, as well as choke regulation...course, he looked upon replaceable choke tubes as "just a passing fad"

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a old Lefever 12ga that well but slugs from both barrels onto a 8x11 at 50 yards just using the bead. I have thought it would be nice to put sights on it and give it a good go around with slugs. But just haven't got around to doing it.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
To your question as to being able to put it back together.
Someone built it, So someone can rebuild it.

I use this saying every time someone questions my ability to reassemble some assortment of parts that use to be a mechanism. Pisses me off to no end when some jerk that would never dream of undertaking such a task has the audacity to question your ability As if they had done it before Roll Eyes

Either lead follow or get out of my way your choice

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try searching for one already made. I picked this Ugartechea Jabali a bit ago for <$500. I tried a number of standard 2 3/4" slugs to no avail then saw one for sale at Herchel Chaddicks (sp) that suggested 1 oz Brenekke's. I picked up some Brenekke MP's and found that pairs grouped inside 3" at 50 yards and landed right on top of the front sight The 1 oz slugs go a bit over 1500 fps in the 25" barrels. I also seem to recall someone selling converted double slug guns at the Houston Safari Club show some years ago. Good luck as they are fun and quite deadly on der and hogs.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote