New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Blackburn questions...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering using their bottom metal on one of my stock pre-64 M70 rifles and would like to use the bottom metal for a future custom project based on this rifle. I have a few
questions... (feel free to answer any or all!)

1.) If I were to use Blackburn bottom metal for my pre-64 M70 is this essentially a "drop-in" piece or will an original stock need to be altered to make it fit? If alterations are necessary, how extensive would they be?

2.) Can the factory magazine spring and follower be used or will I need to have special pieces fabricated?

3.) How does the weight of their bottom metal for the pre-64 M70 compare to the factory pieces that it replaces? This isn't so much an issue now, but one of the goals of the eventual project that I elluded to will be to lighten the rifle "between the hands" and I am curious how the use of the Blackburn metal will help/hinder that goal.

4.) Does anyone have a picture of the model that would fit the pre-64 M70? From their website it seems that the "Blackburn style" is the only one available for the pre-64 M70? If any of the other styles (large Oberndorf or small Oberndorf?) are available for the pre-64 M70 I would like to see those as well. The names/description of the styles don't mean as much to me as they might to others.

5.) What do they usually run for cost!?!?

Thanks,
Bob

PS I apologize if some of these are repeats of recent questions. This post is essentially a "copy and paste" of an e-mail I sent to Blackburn yesterday. I guess I just got a little impatient for the answers [Smile] .

[ 11-21-2003, 17:23: Message edited by: bobvthunter ]

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Please post whatever response you get from Blackburn!!!!!!

Thanks. [Smile]

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll let you all know when/if I hear anything, but nothing from them so far [Frown] .

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you have not gotten any answers, I'll jump in. My experience is with Blackburn bottom metal for a 98 Mauser.
1. Don't know for sure, but I doubt true "drop-in" capability was high on Ted's priority list. His market is largely the custom gun trade.
2. For a standard depth magazine box, based on my experience, yes.
3. Don't know for sure, but would assume it would be very slightly heavier than factory.
4. I can send you a picture of the Mauser unit, which has the "Blackburn Guard Bow".
5. The 2002 price list had the Model 1 (Pre-64 M70, 30-06 length) for $285 retail.
Hope this helps.

[ 11-26-2003, 18:53: Message edited by: Glen71 ]

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have Blackburn's website address?

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 154 | Location: Clio, Alabama | Registered: 17 May 2003Reply With Quote