Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Blank I Bought On eBay
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
Just bought this stick from a guy in Michigan. I like it, especially the color. Can't wait to start working it. Now I need to get some real wood carving tools. [Smile]

-
 -

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
I like the vertical striping in the wood! I was curious to what you gave for it if you don't mind the question.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NOw Roger!!! How many times have we told you not to buy wood from a stranger!!! especialy if you havent personaly inspected the wood! [Big Grin]
Nice from the pictures, I hope everything works out for you.
Is it kiln dried or air?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
There is no way for me to personally inspect wood. It costs too much to ship up.

I emailed the guy and told him it had to be: dense, no flaws and no insect damage. He replied it was in fact quite dense for black walnut, had no flaws or damage. He also has had 140 sales and a 100% approval rating so 140 buyers out of 140 sales tells me the guy isn't going to rip me off. Besides, I would just send it back any way.

He bought it about 6 years ago, it was dry then. He just never got around to using it and wanted to get rid of it.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does one begin to carve a stock? Are there basic measurements? Are there books with drawings? Obviously, an activity for those with far more free time than me. Bon chance!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roy Dunlap wrote a book called Gunsmithing. In it he gets into alot of detail about laying out a blank and stock making it is well worth reading. I do not agree with everything he says but that is just me. For example he likes to inlet the bottom metal first, I like to inlet the barreled action first. If you want some help or addvice give me a call, been building custom rifles for over ten years and love to talk about them and help others getting started. 207-938-3595

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David Wesbrook's "Professional Stockmaking" is also a good resource.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger

What was the price?

Got a similar piece of wood for my semi-finished replacement stock from AHR - wonder what you paid for the blank alone?

Franz

[ 07-14-2003, 19:19: Message edited by: Daydreamer ]

Posts: 202 | Location: Vienna/Austria | Registered: 04 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's very nice Roger. I think black walnut is often underestimated as a stock wood. I have seen some beautifully figured stuff, and am currently trying to talk a friend of mine out of a nice piece of 30+ year air-dried black walnut, with really nice grain layout. He wants to make table legs out of it.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote