New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 700 Action Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen, I've got a dumb question for you; why are the Rem 700 actions comparatively less smooth to cycle/feed than Mdl 98/Ruger M77/Mdl 70/ Sako actions??

tighter tolerances?? more metal-to-metal contact? locking-lug design??

thank you in advance,
Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You need to handle more guns.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I figured I'd get a smart-ass answer....

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craig Nolan:
I figured I'd get a smart-ass answer....

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Pardner, if you think Remington 700's are rougher to operate than those you mentioned then you haven't handled many bolt action rifles. Nothing smart assed about that!

Remington hasn't cornered the market on rough feeling bolt rifles, those you mention have their fare share too.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig

I have handled quite a few of all of the actions you have mentioned.

There can be a big difference in smoothness between actions of identical make.
Also how it is lubed, and even if it is an older action, how much it was used, can make a difference in its smoothness.

Rough locking lugs, rough raceways, and rough surfaces on areas that cock the firing pin can bake a huge difference in smoothness.

I have seen many 700's that were "smooth as silk".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the actions you have listed, probably the smoothest would be a Model 70.

I say this baised on input from NRA Bolt Match Rifle shooters.

Taking everything into consideration, including bolt angle and cocking effort they seem the slickest to work from a loop sling in rapid fire.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanx NE; I've currently got 3 M700's + 2 others I sold previously, they all just seem somewhat less smooth, particularly when the bolt-handle is lifted, than my other bolt-rifles, currently including 2 tang-safety M77's, 1 Hawkeye, 1 MKII M77, 1 crf M70, 1 M70 XTR push-feed, 1 custom on an FN-Mauser, 2 Wby MKV's, and 1 custom on a Rem 700.. the smoothest seem to be the FN custom and the 2 tang-safey M77's....appreciate your input...

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the handle is lifted? Could just be rough factory tolerances on the locking lugs. My M700 is quite smooth but by no means exceptional (my cheap Vanguards are at least as smooth) however my neighbors blueprinted M700 custom is pure silk. I think it has more to do with who is doing final machine work and QA before the gun is out the door than anything.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig

Be sure that the part of the bolt that cocks the firing pin has a dab of quality grease on it. Also unless in very sandy, dusty conditions I always grease the bolt lugs and the top of the reciever that acts as the primary extraction force.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add thast when I am in extreme sand, dust or wet conditions, I use E&L Gun Lube.

It is a spray on graphite lube that dries and will not wash off.

It is used in outer space on satelite componets, and works great if you have to swim your gun in.

Not as slick as good grease in the "normal" world, but it provides lube in very harsh conditions.

Also, something lubed with it, will stay lubed, in storage, FOREVER.

It can be removed with Birchwood Casey Gunscrubber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks much for the input, I appreciate it...

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lapping the locking lugs is part of it

Or simply cycling the bolt several thousand times against a dummy cartridge to provide drag.
(or against a live cartridge with the striker assembly removed from the bolt)

but much of the perceived roughness in a Remington is the drag people feel running the bolt back and forth
(not rotating to lock it) and THAT is almost entirely the bolt rubbing against the follower.

Cycle the bolt with the floor plate open and you'll see how smooth one can feel with a relieved follower.

unfortunatly you cannot relieve a stamped follower.
you must aquire a milled follower.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need to grease the threads of the bolt sleeve and the bolt body. Then grease the cocking cam. Bear in mind the 700 has a shorter handle than some rifles. Combined with its relatively stiff spring it could seem less smooth. So it is also a matter of spring force and handle geometry.

Another thing that smooths a 700 Remington is a 15 hunting seasons and 40,000 miles in the rack of an un-airconditioned pickup on dusty road. The fine grit will eventually lap the jeweling off of the bolt and when cleaned and oiled will slide effortlessly.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
maybe its that sand from when the last guy dropped it?

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All, thanx again, lot's of good info...

Best Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
The 700 AWR's are teflon coated and are really smooth LOL.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote