New
Find
Notify
Tools

refinishing With a HIGH GLOSS finish
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to put a High Gloss on my rifle. What would give the HIGHEST Gloss Finish.

What do you recommend?

Live every day like it was your last, because someday it will be!!!

Posts: 140 | Location: N. E. Ohio | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
To get a HIGH GLOSS you need a hot blue and a mirror polish job prior to bluing.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A. Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Spray or wipe-on.

B. An auto spray gloss lacquer top coated with a coat of Tru-Oil.

C. An auto 2-part gloss clear coat available at an auto paint store.

D. Clear gloss Duracoat.

All of the above over a pore filled stock of course.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
homer I was thinking metal.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.klasskote.com/
or Fuller plast if it is still around.

Spray over a filled grain. Either dries very fast a builds fast. Wet sand to #600. Rub out with automitive rubbing compound then polishing compound.

These finishes are very hazardous to you lung health. A real deal APR respirator is a must. Only use outside.

I have done about 50 stocks over the years. I now fill using deft sanding sealer lacquir. I wet sand to make mud, let dry then seal the mud in place. Sand again down to the wood. When level and filled, I go over it with spar varnish or tung oil.

IMHO the high gloss "weatherby" look is........... well it is not my thing. I used the klass kote and fuller plast at customer request. It is fast and durable. It is out of style to me, to "factory" looking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scota4570:
http://www.klasskote.com/
or Fuller plast if it is still around.

Spray over a filled grain. Either dries very fast a builds fast. Wet sand to #600. Rub out with automitive rubbing compound then polishing compound.

These finishes are very hazardous to you lung health. A real deal APR respirator is a must. Only use outside.

I have done about 50 stocks over the years. I now fill using deft sanding sealer lacquir. I wet sand to make mud, let dry then seal the mud in place. Sand again down to the wood. When level and filled, I go over it with spar varnish or tung oil.

IMHO the high gloss "weatherby" look is........... well it is not my thing. I used the klass kote and fuller plast at customer request. It is fast and durable. It is out of style to me, to "factory" looking.

Orrrrrrrrr, you could go all-out and but a bowling pin finish on it with gloss epoxy marine.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best high gloss finish I have used is Brownells Gun Sav-R high gloss, and it can be cut back to satin or dull for that matter..

I like the satin finish or better yet a flat in the wood finish on my hunting rifles...Gun sav-R is very easy to use and Brownells gives it 5 stars...It has a filler in the finish and it works great....It can also be combined with the last coats being Brownells Linseed oil with hardeners in it for a truly beautiful Linseed oil finish..Its hard to beat the sheen of Linseed for beauty.

The advantage to a high gloss finish is that its more waterproof, but it also reflects a lot of light that alerts game, and thats a disadvantage IMO...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at Brownell's gun saver, Is it put on in several light coats? or less coats more finish? This gun like some more in the safe will be SAFE QUEENS.

Live every day like it was your last, because someday it will be!!!

Posts: 140 | Location: N. E. Ohio | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I use Minwax Helmsman high gloss. Spay it on heavy, and recoat within 90 minutes. Let dry for a day then sand flat and do it again until grain is all filled. For refinishing/restoring Weatherbyi stocks it usually takes four to six spray-sand cycles to get the thick high-gloss finish Weatherby aficionados desire. I hang the stock in my rust bluing cabinet to minimize dust in the finish, but if there is a bit you can polish it out with rotten stone.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote