New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem model 12 or 121 pump action 22 rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend has asked me to help him find some parts for a little Rem pump 22 cal rifle. I'm not sure if it is a model 12 or model 121 . Above the chamber it has the Remington Trade Mark and 22 short,long ,or long rifle. Serial # 237739 is stamped on the bottom of the action.It has open sites,although the rear site is missing. It also has a flip up peep site on the tang. There is Patent #s listed on the top of the round barrel and no other writing. From the schematic pictures that Numrich has on line it appears to be a model 12. The forearm and the two forearm screws( parts I need) shown in the schematic for the M12 appear to be exactly what is required. However the Model 12 schem also shows a cresent shaped butt plate and this rifle has a straight butt. Can anyone help me determine which rifle I have? Thanks

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 121 has on the left side/front of the rec'vr an imprinted/stamped logo:
The FieldMaster/trade mark
Model 121

Just above the take down thumb screw on the same side (left) is:
'Remington'
Reg US Pat Off
ser number.

Model 121 has a long, rather full size forend compared with the earlier Model 12's skimpy shorter thin forarm.

The 121 butt stock is fuller too. The fuller wood was one of the up-grades done to all the Remington rifles when the '1' was added to the Model numbers (8 to 81,,14 to 141,, 12 to 121,,ect).

The 121 rear bbl sight was attached with 2 small screws into the bbl. The Model 12 used a dovetail IIRC. You mentioned the rear sight missing but the attachment method should still be apparent.

IIRC, the 121 used a thin steel flat butt plate. The Model 12 used either a flat plate of black hard rubber (Model 12A w/round barrel)..
or a cresent steelplate on the Model 12B (octagon bbl) or 12C cal 22Spcl also oct bbl..

-The 12A was a straight grip stock w/ flat hard rubber butt plate.
-ALL of the Model 121 rifles were pistol grip rifles.

Hope this helps and isn't just confusing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
2152hq Thank You very much. You have just filled in all the blanks for me.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote