New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polishing a Vaquero
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have Ruger Vaquero in 44 Mag I picked up from a gunshow. It's stainless steel with the faux ivory grips. I'd like polish it to a bright shine. What's do guys suggest?

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
is it matte finish now or just needs touch up? if matte finish I don't know what would take it to mirror. but for just touching up I'm always amazed what MAAS and a rag will accomplish. worked wonders on my motorcycle.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not a satin finish, but to my eye, it's not nearly as nice as the new high gloss finish either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The current finish hides some of the imperfections. If it is polished to a highly reflective surface (2 Ra to 4 Ra) it will be easy to see anything that is not perfect.

The materials required are not expensive but involve a 3450 RPM buffer with a wheel about 12" in diameter.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I had same question, asked in the gunsmithing section of the ruger forum. Here are the repies, the reworking the gun with sandpaper to 2000 grit is the correct reply. By the way, the suggestion to use the nail refinishing sticks was great-- really worked well for me. here is the pertinant link,
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=91475

Posts: 5706 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Buckeye, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I have some 2k wet/dry sand paper and mother, but the nail sticks sound great. I'll let you know how it turns outs!

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Buffing and polishing on a powered wheel is NOT RECOMMENDED.

The reason is, It is very easy to round off corners and dish out holes unless you know how to polish and what wheels to use and when to use them.

The above post about 2000 grit sand paper and nail sticks is a good way to go. Simichrome to finish or some other non aggressive polish

And easier way would be to find a shop that does electro polishing in your area and see if it's inexpensive enough to do.
Once you get it back you'll have to wear sunglasses to look at it.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Buffing and polishing on a powered wheel is NOT RECOMMENDED.

The reason is, It is very easy to round off corners and dish out holes unless you know how to polish and what wheels to use and when to use them.

The above post about 2000 grit sand paper and nail sticks is a good way to go. Simichrome to finish or some other non aggressive polish

And easier way would be to find a shop that does electro polishing in your area and see if it's inexpensive enough to do.
Once you get it back you'll have to wear sunglasses to look at it.

Au contraire
Color buffing is BEST done on a buffer.
Notice I said buffing.
Before you buff it you have to remove the tool marks, nicks and dings. Then once you buff it you will see all the defects that you thought you had removed. Same goes for electropolishing. It will make the surface so reflective that any flaws jump out at you. This is especially true for investment castings that are not hipped since they will have porosity that you can often see.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Step away from the power tools.

Ok now that we have done that here is how you touch it up. Get yourself some flitz polish and an old tee shirt. Go ahead and polish until desired shine is achieved. This stuff is magic.

Revolvers are EXTREMELY difficult to polish and blue correctly due to all the angles, curves, and different surfaces. Many a fine revolver has been ruined by a high speed buffing wheel and someone trying to refinish it.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
SR4759
Let me elaborate as I left out a part of my train of thought as I was typing

Insert "for the inexperienced" (and continue with) polishing or buffing on a powered wheel is NOT RECOMMENDED.

If you have the skills and the experience go for it. Or if you are willing to put in the time and money to learn go for it as well. but I would not recommend to anyone just to go out and get setup polishing. You may know the poster's skills but I don't.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I was happy with the way mine worked out. It was dinged and scratched when I got it, but looks new now.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote