New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to store your nice rifles? Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Now that I have a few nice rifles, How can you store them safely. I do not have a moisture problem. Even though my safe is very large, you have to be very careful or another rifle will fall against another. Can you put them in softcases and then into the safe?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put mine in silicone socks.Dont crowd them in the safe.My safe has a 48 rifle capacity,but I only have half that amount in there because they would get buggered up from hitting one another.The silicone will stop rust but I still have moisture sorbs in the safe. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I would use something silicone impregnated before I would use a soft case for long term storage in a safe.

What I reall want is a vault room, but I'll win the lottery before that happens.

Of course, my nice rifles are not all that nice so you will likely get better advice elsewhere.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Avoid using a soft case unless it is one intended for storage. I have refinished a lot of guns because they were stored in a soft case that attracted moisture. By the time the owner discovers the problem, the damage is done. Even in the driest part of Texas, there are a lot of ways for a case to draw moisture and hold it next to the metal.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the suggestions. I really want to take care of them.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
butchlambert,HAVE NO FEAR I'AM HERE! Store your rifles in a chiprock walled room that is heated with an electric heater.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Storing rifles and shotguns in a padded case is just asking for big trouble. TRUST ME. Your better off standing them in the corner of a closet or in a safe.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Soverns:
Storing rifles and shotguns in a padded case is just asking for big trouble. TRUST ME. Your better off standing them in the corner of a closet or in a safe.

And, nose down...

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Whoops, forgot that part. He is absolutely correct.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which part is the nose?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Which part is the nose?

The end opposite the butt, of course

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Now that I have a few nice rifles, How can you store them safely. I do not have a moisture problem. Even though my safe is very large, you have to be very careful or another rifle will fall against another. Can you put them in softcases and then into the safe?
Butch

I use those silicone-impregnated "Gun Socks also. They help prevent scratches and dents...... But careful handling is still required!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nose down, I've heard that before, but what is the reasoning behind it?
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Nose down, I've heard that before, but what is the reasoning behind it?
-Don

So the oil/solvent residue left in the bore after cleaning doesn't slowly seep down into the wrist area of the stock and eventually over the years soak into and soften the wood.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's probably best if you just stored them in my safe... dancing

Posts: 101 | Location: South of Buffalo, NY | Registered: 13 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ydduit,
I would probably ask you take care of them for me, but would probably have a hard time getting them back in a timely manner.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nose down does work best if you are worried about rust and slobber on the oil; but remember to put a nice piece of pine under the muzzle. If you let the barrel stand on metal or concrete you are asking for corrosion/rust.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogerR:
Nose down does work best if you are worried about rust and slobber on the oil; but remember to put a nice piece of pine under the muzzle. If you let the barrel stand on metal or concrete you are asking for corrosion/rust.

Roger

A nice rag or piece of carpet will work great.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote