Find
Notify
Tools

Slugging a rifle barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted
I read in Precision Shooting Magazine several years ago about a guy that built a killer 22 rimfire rifle. One of the things he mentioned was he slugged the barrel to get the best part and the right direction for the barrel. So... what exactly do you look for when slugging a barrel. I know the muzzle should be tighter than the breech end and smoothness definately counts. Am I missing anything? Is there a magic potion. I'm getting a 25" blank and am going to use 18" for the barrel.

Thanks for any advice, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are most likely thinking of Bill Calfee and he wrote several articles on fitting and cambering a .22 RF barrel. He buys barrels that are the same diameter for the full length. Slugging the barrel is just one of many things that need to be done for a successful target .22 RF job. I understand he is publishing a book which you might look into or gather all his articles from PS. He hangs out at Benchrest.com rimfire forum.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SxS-boy:
So... what exactly do you look for when slugging a barrel.

You are looking for consistency from end to end. Without any signs of tight or loose spots. You need to start and push a slug from one end and then repeat the process from the other end. Don't stop at one end and simple push it back to the other end, you need to upset the slug and start over from the opposite end.

You have to develop an acute sense for what you are feeling as you advancing the slug down the bore in order to understand what it means. Also, if the bore isn't prepped, or, the slug isn't started correctly then you can come away with a less than accurate interpretation of the bore. It takes some practice to develop that feel.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe, Please locate the Calfee articles. What you are slugging for is a tight spot to cut and crown!

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Hopefully there will only be one tight spot and it will be at the location to give you the length you need. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't forget to ring it stir

Smiler

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote