New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarrelling Nightmare Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Benchrest barrel (heavy) 6PPC with .262 chamber. I would like to put in on a Remington long action I have laying around. I want to build a 6mm-284. Am I dreaming or is this possible. The Remington action was a 280 Remington. Any thoughts. I really need help here. I believe the PPC barrel is 1-12 twist.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AlanC:
I have a Benchrest barrel (heavy) 6PPC with .262 chamber. I would like to put in on a Remington long action I have laying around. I want to build a 6mm-284. Am I dreaming or is this possible. The Remington action was a 280 Remington. Any thoughts. I really need help here. I believe the PPC barrel is 1-12 twist.

No problem rechambering. However the 1 X 12 twist won't stabilize anything much over 85 grain.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Alan-

While it's certainly possible to rechamber your barrel to 6-.284, that barrel may not be ideal for the caliber. Not knowing what your intent for the rifle is, the couple of guys I shoot with that have the 6-.284 are using long barrels (28-30") with fast (1-8") twists to shoot the 105-107gr. bullets really far. Now my 6PPC barrels are all in the 21-23" range, assuming yours was on an HV BR gun, I imagine your barrel is somewhere in that neighborhood as well(you didn't state). If that's the case, your particular barrel would be too short to utilize the velocity advantages and your twist too slow for the heavier bullets as already mentioned by Wally. If you're not positive on your twist rate, most (certainly not all) of the 6PPC's out there utilize barrels with a 1-14" twist. Definitely something to check out.
Again, I don't know what you want to do with the rifle so I'm only stating what comes to mind. I'd probably consider a 6BR myself, barrel life is reportedly longer, velocity and accuracy are good and you'll save a few pennies on each round since it uses less powder. Just a thought.
Good luck.

-Rick

[ 07-12-2003, 12:07: Message edited by: rduncan ]

Posts: 57 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 26 April 2002Reply With Quote