THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Question about smoothing the raceways of MRC 1

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Question about smoothing the raceways of MRC 1
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The reason for rehardening would, perhaps, be to maintain good wear charactaristics. As well, soft material has a tendency to be "sticky". Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3563 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, if I did stone the rails of my stainless MRC, how would I reharden it? Does 416R stainless even need hardening? Can it even be done?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

So, if I did stone the rails of my stainless MRC, how would I reharden it? Does 416R stainless even need hardening? Can it even be done?

Ditto, I forgot to mention mine is also SS.

Rob

Posts: 1680 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old Mausers are carbon steel, case hardened, usually in a bone charcoal pack. Sort of a lost art. Later Mausers like the MarkX are not case hardened, most folks say they are made from heat treated 4140.

Modern receivers (4140 or 416 SS or another SS alloy) are heat treated to increase the yield strength of the material, but not case hardened.

So, aggressive polishing of Mauser raceways will get you below the case and you will no longer have that nice smooth "semi glass hard" feel when the bolt is cycled. If you polish this aggressively, you will enlarge the dimensions and have a sloppy bolt fit.

Same thing with lapping or recutting the lugs on a Mauser: You may get under the case, thus you will have soft lug faces prone to gauling. Generally the case is hard, so it takes a lot of elbow grease to get below it when lapping.

Since modern receivers have no thin case, polishing will not remove it. Just do not take out too much, otherwise you will have a sloppy bolt fit.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't need the reharden the MRC. Stoning removes only the high, rough spots and doesn't truly get below the surface if it's done correctly.

What would it matter if you "got below the surface" with an MRC 1999, anyway? The MRCs are not case hardened, but through hardened, right? So isn't the factory surface insignificantly different from the metal deeper down and all the way to the core?

Posts: 22571 | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
You don't need the reharden the MRC. Stoning removes only the high, rough spots and doesn't truly get below the surface if it's done correctly. I believe what Bill Leeper was referring to was the Mausers that are very worn. Polishing stones only take the microscopic peaks off the surface of the metal in the raceways and some areas are left untouched. I used the frangible polishing stones epoxied to piece of aluminum flat stock. Not many passes and it's done. You probably don't remove more than a thousandth or two in most areas. The stones wear enough to conform to the dovetailed raceway and take care of any problems there. The biggest problem I had was stoning the bridge where mine was very tight. I also ended up jewelling the bolt to help it slide effortlessly through that area. Works as slick as any chromoly now. You can get the stones from MRC or a similar tooling supplier.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob338,
That sounds like a good technique. I'll try it on a rough Ruger (aren't they all?) in (drum roll please...) 338.

Hey Infosponge,
I hear your momma calling you back to the political forum. BTW, I told you to use an old manual typewriter to make those fake memos you did for Mr. Dan over at CBS. Can't you get anything right?
I heard he was pretty mad at you. He was walking down the hallway at the news studios yelling "where is that goddamn Forrest Gump Sponge?" "I'm gonna wring his geek ass pencil neck when I get a hold of him!"

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no intention to discuss the metallurgy of MRC actions on the politics forum, nor to discuss politics with you on this forum, John.

Posts: 22571 | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote