Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! dumb question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted
OK, I got a minor problem. Maybe it is not so minor.

I took my daughter to the range this am. When we were finished I ran a bore snake through all the handguns we fired. The last one I ran a snake through was the Redhawk 44 Magnum. The snake I used is one listed for a 410 shotgun.

I just purchased this snake recently for the 44. The guy at the shop didn't have a 44 snake in stock, so he sold me the 410 since .41 is very close to .42 - .43. However, the snake got about 1 inch of the way through the barrel and it jammed tight. It is so tight, it won't move in either direction. Which is interesting, given the little pressure it took to get it stuck.

I suspect the reason it won't go forward is that the snake is way more than .41 in size and it won't go back because the brass bristles are engaged in the barrel.

So, the dumb question is, how do I get it out? Don't laugh, you wouldn't believe how much I pulled on this thing trying to back it out of the barrel.

RobertD

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression that the 410 was very near 45 cal. Does anyone know for sure?

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .410 is.....410". The .44 is .430" All brushes are oversized and few are easily removed in the reverse direction once in the bore. I would not speculate why it got stuck but would suggest one or two options. 1) Take it to a 'smith and let him remove it. 2) If it were mine I would consider using a wood dowel and malet to tap it out, IF I had a proper shop vice and pads, and if I knew precisely what/why/how it all transpired. In lieu of that, try option 1. Luck to ya.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The .410 is.....410". The .44 is .430" All brushes are oversized and few are easily removed in the reverse direction once in the bore. I would not speculate why it got stuck but would suggest one or two options. 1) Take it to a 'smith and let him remove it. 2) If it were mine I would consider using a wood dowel and malet to tap it out, IF I had a proper shop vice and pads, and if I knew precisely what/why/how it all transpired. In lieu of that, try option 1. Luck to ya.

And thats the way it is!

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'd try one of the copper dissolving bore cleaners. Get enough soaked in and the cleaner may just eat away at the brass brisltes enough to where you can pull the snake on out. I know brass brushes don't last long when used with Sweets.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that last suggestions might just work, as I know good copper solvent has made my brushes all of a sudden start running too easy down the bore (thus I hardly ever use it now, and never with a brush). And you must pull it in the direction it was going when it got stuck, what happens is the bristles are compressed in the direction opposite of travel, so when you reverse travel they are then trying to flip around again, and just become hopelessly pressed against the inside walls of the barrel.

put some copper solvent and let it sit for a while, then take a good grip and pull. I would wrap the end in the jaws of a pair of pliers, rather than have the thing cord dig into my flesh.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats pretty funny alright...Seems like if you cut it off and tryed to tap it out with a dowel it would get stuck worse.

lubrcant or liguids might make it swell and stuck worse too.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try twisting it out. While holding tension on the snake try twisting it. If you can make the bristles to lay over sideways you may be able to change direction and pull it out.

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call the bore snake people Monday morning.

You might tap it a 1/4" then pull it tight. Repeat a couple dozen times. You certainly don't want to jam it in there. If you break the thing in half you may end up buying a barrel.

Sorry for your misfortune. This is why I will never own a bore snake. Could you imagine the grief if you were on an expensive hunt, and this this happened?? The military rejected pull through cleaners for this reason long ago. No thanks, I'll stick to my Dewey rods.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
Actually, I think the .410 bore snake is not really .410. I don't know what it is, but this is the first time I have used it. The other ones I purchased work just fine.

I did try to push it out with a cleaning rod, but that didn't work. Using a dowel will only work if I push it out backwards, as this is a revolver, not an automatic.

I will call the bore snake folks tomorrow and see what they say. I might try a drill and twist it out. I did try to twist it by hand, but that had zero effect on it.

I am reluctant to put any Sweets in the barrel, because if I do and I still can't get it out, then I will have a really huge mess as opposed to a small one. Perhaps something benign, such as Ed's Red or something might help.

Keep the suggestions coming, I will let you know what I find out and how it gets fixed.

Thanks,

RobertD

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Here is the garage-gunsmith approach, modify it to your own uses-

Run a section or rope through the cylinder cut-out of the frame, and tie it to a post or a tree.

Squirt a healthy shot of WD40 down the barrel.

Tie the other end to a handle or large ring, then pull using your body weight.

If still stuck tight I'd be tempted to use a copper solven too, plenty of them out there to try, but I can't see how a GOOD tug would fail to release it.

Good Luck!
Spray WD40

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote