Tools

Leupold rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a set of standard leupold rings with the rotating dovetail in the front
he dovetail has what I think too much wear
it turns too easily
any way to tighten this and how tight should it be??
thanks sydney

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
This one is easy

Call Leupold and they will replace it.

But if you want just turn the ring upside down and hit each ear with a punch or a ball peen hammer

But I recommend replacement

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there's a complete absence of movement, it's actually tight enough...but having said that, I like to feel a little resistance also.

Place a one inch rod in the bottom ring, Put the bottom of the dovetail against the hard jaw, clamp down against the rod with VIGOR. then with about an 8 lb maul smock the moveable jaw Either do this with a cheap vise, or a really good vise. You'll have easily tightened the dovetail.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are too cheap to fool with; you know to never "seat" a ring in a base with the scope; I am sure. Use a dowell or I use a screwdriver handle.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
you know to never "seat" a ring in a base with the scope; I am sure. Use a dowell or I use a screwdriver handle

But it give you fantastic leverage Big Grin

I do have several Forster Screwdriver handles with a groove cut in them. Roll Eyes

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...note that Sydney mentioned "wear" I. e., old...i.e., taken apart a lot .Wear on both the ring dovetail and base would be a logical conclusion.
As long as you'r e going to have to take it apart anyway, you might as well spend the extra minute or two on an easy fix.

This same method can be used to tighten all manner of worn parts, even shotgun frames

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
This is what Duane is talking about. Make sure that you use a smooth jaw vise. In a heavy machine vise like this there is no need to THWACKETTA the live jaw. Medium tightening force will bring the ring back to tighter than hell. Years ago. I made a 1 inch and 30mm scope mounting bar like this for turn in style rings. The bar has a small hole drilled through its length and I put the gun in a vise and bore sight the barrel on the light post across the street. After I get the bar mounted I adjust the side by side adjustment of the rings while squinting through the hole. I mount the bar exactly as I would mount the scope and then rap the bar and rings a bit with a rawhide mallet to set everything. Then I remove the tops of the rings and mount the scope. Eazy peazy lemon squeazy.

leupold rings by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies
Sydney