New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with a Ruger Express rifle in 30/06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just picked up a NIB Ruger Express rifle in 30/06 for what I consider an absolutely great price ($650). It`s an extremely gorgeous rifle...the only problem is that it`s just a 30/06. I know, I know, it`s a great caliber useful for anything in North America and most of the world.....but it`s boring! I need it to be a different caliber, but that beautiful barrel with the integral quarter rib is one of the best features of the rifle. That leaves me pondering a rebore....but to what? My first thought is 35 Whelen, but I already have one. Guess I could live with another. Or maybe a 338/06. If this was your rifle, what would you rebore to, and who would you have do the work?

Posts: 284 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
Just leave her the way she is!

Hell if you want to beat the "boring" part load up some sexy Scirocco bullets in nickle plated cases to feed it! LoL

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how others perceive things. The 30-06 Springfield is the most storied rifle cartridge of all time. Go to the library and get a book by Whelan.

The best thing about that rifle is the cartridge! I have an express in 270 Win and it's too heavy for hunting, the rib precludes a low scope or one with a 40 mm obj, it's not CRF.

You did well at that price. Sell it for more and be happy about that.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might consider rechambering to a more exciting 30 cal cartridge rather than a rebore. 30-06 Ackley Improved, 308 Norma, 30-338, 300 Win, 300 Weatherby, 300 Dakota, 300 RUM, etc.

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way I figure is that you've got something that somebody, somewhere, just thinks they've got to have!! SELL IT! It's got a couple problems!! IT'S A RUGER!!(that ought to get the natives riled up!!!) and second it's a 30-06!!!!! Take the money and get yourself something decent!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote