New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 2 5/8 inch shells for 12 guage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have heard of modifing 2 3/4" shells as follows. Trim the plastic at the end of the mouth leaving three or four small pieces holding the part with the fold and crimp in place. When you shoot the end detaches and acts as a top wad. This makes the remaining part of the shell short enough to not interfere with the forcing cone.

I have not tried it. I do plan to for a 16 ga. 2 9/16" Browning A-5. I have been told it works great.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this link for 2-1/2" shells.

http://www.woodcockhill.com/Cartridges.htm

I've used their 2-1/2" 16 ga. loads in an A5 Browning with the old 2-9/16" short chamber, and they functioned flawlessly. I also have used them in a 2-1/2" Lang 16ga. double from England with no problems. I got the 1oz. loads, and they were quite pleasant in the recoil department. They are loaded in USA supposedly, according to the lady who took my order.

I wouldn't use 2-3/4" shells in a shorter chamber. It's gotta raise pressure considerably. On old doubles especially, this can't help but loosen them up over time, I would think. Probably doesn't help patterns any either.

Lengthening the chamber works great if you have enough barrel wall thickness. Please don't do this on a fine collectible though. Doing a complete conversion on a Browning A5 16ga. is a tricky, lenghty process that I wouldn't care to tackle.

A friend of mine cuts down 2-3/4" plastic cases to 2-1/2" for his mild black powder loads in old damascus barreled doubles for cowboy shooting. He use a roll crimper with an overshot wad. They work fine.

Safe Shooting Friends. -"gunsmither"

Posts: 58 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Talk to BPI (Ballistic Products Inc.) they have (or had) 2 1/2 shells they import from Briton where it's still in use. I've never seen 2 5/8 shells in 12 Ga. 2 5/8 is mostly a 10 Ga. loading, but why not. I would think (hope) the slightly shorter rounds would cycle through the action okay

www.ballisticproducts.com
(763) 494-9237

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The word on case length that I'm hearing is that minor differences in shotshell case length has very mild impact on pressure. The key issue is on keeping pressures low according to the age, condition and original proof of gun. I have a 100+ year old side by side in good shape. With Brit guns, especially as light as this one, you want low pressures. I've found very low pressure 2 3/4 shells here in Houston from Ed Arriegi at ARMUSA performance. He is a distributor. I don't find a phone # nearby but do a google search on ARMUSA Houston and see if you find him. Prices are good and he ships. Good luck. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TROLL EXPOSED!!! TROLL EXPOSED!!! TROLL EXPOSED!!!

craigster (3864) is ScottS

Quote:

I recently restored an old (1913) Fox 16ga that had 2 5/8" chambers. Had the chambers lengtnend to 2 3/4". That might be an option if it can be safely done to your gun and the action will handle the extra length. FWIW,I was told that it's not all that great an idea to use the longer shells in the short chamber.

Posts: 204 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a source for 2 5/8" 12 guage shotgun shells?

I am contemplating picking up an old Win. 1887 lever action, but I would like to use it occassionally. Can light 2 3/4" shells be used, I believe the model 1901 was designed for smokeless powder?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently restored an old (1913) Fox 16ga that had 2 5/8" chambers. Had the chambers lengtnend to 2 3/4". That might be an option if it can be safely done to your gun and the action will handle the extra length. FWIW,I was told that it's not all that great an idea to use the longer shells in the short chamber.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote