Find
Notify
Tools

585 Nyati in SAKO TRG-S?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted
Is this action big (and strong) enough for .585 Nyati or should I go for CZ550 or Montana Rifleman PH (do it fit in a MRC)? Or...

I am not planing of making a expencive classis Big five best gun, but a functional hunting canon. [Smile]

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would get a CZ 416 Rigby and for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it can be made as a "big banger" but at the same time allow you to turn it into a "classic" African big gun.

Secondly, in 416 Rigby you can load it to full ballistics (like 416 Wby) and discover if you really want a lot more recoil than a fully loaded 416 Rigby/Wby. [Big Grin] A 416 Rigby loaded to full pressure and ballistics might save you money on a 585 barrel [Smile]

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
I am quite familiar with heavy recoil after appx 1000 round in my 460wby [Smile]

It might be to heavy, but why ruin the fun!! [Big Grin]

Anyone knows what Lothar Walter is charging for .577 barrels?

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Per577>
posted
You should go with the .585 Nyati if your planning a real big bore. This cartridge with the right combination will also make 10,000 ft/lbs at the muzzle ! [Eek!]
By the way,,what's your maximum load in your .460 Wthrby mag. ? [Confused]

one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
120grs. N204 and a Woodleigh 500grs. SP or Hornady 500gr. RN was my max. loads. For plicking I used 95grs. N202 behind Hornady 500grs. RN. (do not use this one, I should check it in my log first).

I did try several 350-405grs. but I always came back to Hornady 500grs.

I am also considering a Ruger #1 in 577N.E, this will make a "cheap" canon. Pac-Nor are making semi-finish 577NE barrels for #1 [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
FWIW- The 585 NYATI is far from the easiest round to get to work in any action. It's no problem to get two rounds in the box, but it takes alot of effort to find an action that will hold three. Possibly the most suitable action is the Granite Mountain, but it's real expensive. The MRC PH magnum should work, but it will be awhile till we see one. I've had good success with a CZ550, but it required extensive reworking. The major problem with the 585 NYATI is that the neck dimensions are plain WRONG. You will need a special neck reamer or a custom designed chamber reamer to correct this problem. Without this fix forget about chambering a loaded round unless you are satisfyed with turning your case necks to .009 ( paper thin)/read bad idea! At about $4/ case and a success ratio of 1:2 this gets old fast! Bertram brass doesn't work well ( the neck thickness is completely random as far as I can tell and the only decent stuff comes from Horneber! Good barrels can be had from Pac-Nor.
By the way, the recoil of a full bore 585 NYATI is one heck of alot more than a 460 WBY at max!They are not even comparable.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Per577>
posted
Robgunbuilder !!

The recoil is bad isn't it,,and i have wondered how you get to 2550 fps and 750 gr. bullets. I think this case is so small i find it strange. In my eyes i hallusinate pretending the Nyati was a bulldog. small, compact,muscular, angry and filled with hate !!It says "don't mess with me, or i will explode like a dynamite". Yes indeed,,it explodes in both ends. It's surprisingly powerful. Why is it so powerful, compared with .577 T-rex. I mean it don't lack far behind it in energy figures,,but the case is a lot smaller. I think this case likes it with the fast powders like RL-15,N-202,SOMCEM-341 Or something. when loaded with these powders, the "bulldog" gets real mad !! [Big Grin]
I think the "bulldog" would make huge energy figures with the Vithauri VVN-540 or VARGET. [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the .585 kicks !! mine is about 14 pounds with 2 mercury reducers and break with a 1" dimater barrel at the muzzle. Off the shoulder is fine but shooting over the cabin of the ute for a dozen shots certainlt gets ones attention !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Per577>
posted
What loads did you get in the example you mentioned ? [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The opening post talked about using a TRG-S, which I think would be tough unless someone built a much wider magazine.

And if someone was interested in that endeavor, let me mention an expensive little mistake we made on the first run of TRG bottom metal. Yours truly transposed width of the magazine well from 1.020 +/-.003 to 1.200 +/- .003.

So we have a bunch of magazine frames that would fit a damn .505 Gibbs. Hint, hint.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Per577- yes the 585 NYATI really is a real powerhouse. If you play with "Quickload" you can find powder combinations that yield incredible results from this case. Basically it compares pretty darn well with the .50BMG in terms of power. That's why I developed the .600OK on the same case, just adding a belt for headspace. With that said, a good muzzel brake does more than anything else to tame the NYATI. weight is good, but I'm not impressed with Mercury recoil reducers other than as a compact method to add more weight!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote