THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will a 7x64 reamer clean up a 7x57 chamber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Will a 7x64 reamer clean up a 7x57 chamber? Thanks
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
No.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Maybe.

I read an article in some gun rag years ago about the 7x64. The author had a few rifles, one of which had been rechambered from 7x57. His rifle headspaced properly and fired okay but the neck area of the 7x57 chamber was bigger than the 7x64 neck. Fired cases had a slight step in the neck. He recommended setting the barrel back for anyone wanting to try the same rechamber job.

BUT - I had a 1908 Brazilian mauser in 7x57. I bought a 7x64 finish reamer and a pair of GO and NO-GO gauges. I took the rifle to a gunsmith, handed him the reamer and gauges and asked him to cut and crown the barrel and rechamber to 7x64. He did. It worked like a charm and I never could see any remnant of the original 7x57 caliber in the chamber nor on fired brass.

So, I say maybe.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked this, a year or so ago, about rechambering 7x64 or 7x57 to 280 Remington. Again the answer was "maybe".

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote