New
Find
Notify
Tools

6x48 Screws
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know a source for some 6x48 screws, 1 inch long? Or do they even make them that long? I only need 4.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Brownells.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont seem to be able to find them. All I could find on the Brownells website was 3/4".

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Countersink deeper for the head.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:
Does anyone know a source for some 6x48 screws, 1 inch long? Or do they even make them that long? I only need 4.
Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the length, but our local Ace hardware has gunsmithing screws in inventory.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why do you need a one inch 6-48 screw? Yes, CS the head.
I've been looking for 6-48 screws in Ace hardware stores for 50 years. Never found one.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because 3/4" is 1/4" too short!

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I've been looking for 6-48 screws in Ace hardware stores for 50 years. Never found one.

The ACE in my town has 6-48 screws as well as 8-40, they also have filler screws. The ACE up the road also has the Taps available. But in general, you won't find them in the local hardware store.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do you need a one inch 6-48 screw?

quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:
Because 3/4" is 1/4" too short!

That's not really an answer.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well.. I guess I could use any one inch screw in a diameter close to that, but I would have to hunt for a tap and maybe a drill. Since I can put my hands on the 6x48 pretty easy, it was the most simple. I'd be glad to use 5x40 if someone would loan me a tap and drill. 8X40 is too big.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
6-32 is a standard size. Taps and socket head cap screws should be available at most hardware stores.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I have always thought that if people would tell a little about their project and the parameters involved, that the expertise represented on this forum could/would be most helpful.
Some strength issues may arise when one talks that long and that small of a diameter.

If one can't lay their hands on a unique screw, then a drill bit and tap may be just as easy to get hold of!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe it's a blue-state token concession, I dunno. Before Ken's Tools closed up I got 6-48 taps right off their shelf.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3/4" long is the longest I've seen them. You might have to make them. I'm guessing you don't need it threaded the whole way, so take regular screw that's slightly bigger (M4 maybe?), cut the end off, drill/tap the end of it, and screw in a piece of the non-standard thread with some loctite.

Or open up the tapped holes to something bigger and use a standard screw.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Instead of buying screws I just bought a tap. Then got home and found a 6x32. Par for the course. Threads are a little more coarse than I wanted but I'm sure they'll work.