Find
Notify
Tools

NEED A REAMER : CONVERTING A 280 TO 284
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello

I have asked my local gunsmith to convert a 280 to a 284, he said he needed a reamer.
Where would I find a reamer to do this, is it cheaper to rent or should a person buy a new one and then try to sell it when done?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am only using a reamer once, I rent. I have had good luck with 4-D Reamer Rental.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 217 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just working from memory but I believe that your barrel will have to be set back about .3". I would guestion if you have enough shank not to mention how it will look in your stock.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is a Thompson Venture in a 280, my gunsmith said there is enough to set back, if the stock doesn't fit right I can get a different one.

My main reason for doing this is I like the 284, but no one is cambering them any more. The only ones available are the ones collectors want, I just want to have one to hunt with.

I have a 99f in a 284, but since it has collector value I will sell it, and convert the 280 to 284.

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
FWIW...there isn't any difference between the two cases as far as hunting is concerned as I'm sure you are aware of.

The fact that the 284 is discontinued is also a MINUS, except for the fact you will be able to find brass for it for a long time to come.

I've had both cases configured in several ways in several guns over the past 40 years, I see nothing wrong with having BOTH or rechambering, but I think I would leave My T/C strictly alone and just have a new barrel chambered for 284 installed or buy another rifle.

A custom contoured and chambered new barrel with bluing or any exterior coating probably won't cost much more than all the messing around you need to do to convert and restock/bed.

I would also KEEP the Sav 99 in 284, that has more "ANTIQUE/COLLECTORS/HUNTERS" value for certain.

If the gunsmith knows what he's about, he can also rechamber and just full bed the stock with colored epoxy and fill in any "gapitis".

I think you are looking at tossing money into a black hole when there are many alternative ways to solve your conundrum.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you are looking at tossing money into a black hole when there are many alternative ways to solve your conundrum

You should build what you want. But you could buy dies for the 280 as cheap as renting a 284 reamer. Not have to worry about setting the barrel back or the gap etc. I'm on vacation and don't have access to most of my data. If the 284 is a must I "BELIEVE" a 284 will clean up a 7-08 chamber. If so lot less work than starting with a 280.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course your stock won't fit; you will cutting off the breech, and you will be lucky to have enough meat to thread, and the thickness over the new chamber will be much thinner. My opinion, only; shoot the 280; it is a great caliber as is. 284 causes problems with that rebated rim, hard to get brass. No benefit; there is a reason it is dead. But if you really want it, go for it. Or buy an old 284.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
284 on a 600 rem maybe 5 - 6 lb pack rifle
a 280 on a 600 probably not

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highcountry2:
284 on a 600 rem maybe 5 - 6 lb pack rifle
a 280 on a 600 probably not

Does the .280 even fit in a Rem. 600 action?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does the .280 even fit in a Rem. 600 action

Sure. Oh did you want a bullet in it? rotflmo

The 600 was designed for more around the 2.8" OAL Can't imagine a 280 with bullet working.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
284 in 600 rem not 280

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see your point, anyone want to trade a 280 bolt action rifle for a 284 bolt action rifle?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
284 bolt action rifle

or maybe a 7-08 with a quick hit with a reamer.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not convert to 280 IMP. Simple conversion.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote