Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Remington key lock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted
Sir: can you offer any advice on the conversion. I gave a new Model 7 and a Brownell's catalog. Luddite you know, ned.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.hollandsguns.com
sells a replacement shroud/firing pin/spring for the 700, as does David Tubb.

the shroud replaces the remington factory unit with the lock.

-tincan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the 700 shroud only from brownells but I am not sure if the model 7 is the same as the 700
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1574&title=REMINGTON+700+LIGHTWEIGHT+BOLT+SHROUD

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
There's no reason to go with a current Model 700 action for a custom project, and I wouldn't. Especially since the older rifles built between 1962 and about 1988 are better-built than the current Model 700 is, feature no ridiculous key lock, and most of these have the original-style safety that locks the bolt handle down; a desirable feature in my estimate.

You can buy these used for a good deal less money than a current 700 brings, salvage the action, and you'll be in business.

Remington built these by the tens of thousands, so they are neither rare, expensive, nor hard to find. You'll have a better-made action for less money, and you won't have to spend any money converting it to "keyless" operation, either. You'll have the best of all worlds. Actions, as long as they haven't been abused, are timeless.....

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like the key lock so I convert them out.It is very simple to do and not overly expensive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good grief, big green is now putting this POS J lock crap on shotguns; saw a new marine 12gauge with that junk - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I agree with Allen. While I own quite a number of newer 700s, they are generally not quite as refined as my older ones. A 721 or 722 (the predecessor to the 700) are also good choices, and can be found even cheaper than most used 700 actions. I believe the safety change was in '82 as opposed to '88, but I may be remembering wrong.

Good luck...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a key lock on any firearm is a royal pain but I, for one have mixed feelings about the integral locks. You see, I live in the "Peoples Republic of Maryland" where our idiot politicians passed a law 2 years ago banning any new handguns or assault rifles (their definition of any semi-auto with a pistol grip) from being sold in the state, unless they have integral locks. As you may well imagine new handgun sales have nearly ceased. Cowboy action shooters are having a devil of a time finding SAA Colts or Ruger Vaqueros with integral locks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.....stubblejumper...tincan.....Allen Day....9.3x62...Eddie Harren..for your replies....seems like the bolt shroud is replaced one way or the other....it seems to me if I replace it I might as well replace the firing pin assembly also...any suggestions there?? Thanks again!

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone needs a few of these J-locks, I have a few laying around.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in the planning stages for a project rifle. I am considering using a Remington 700 ADL receiver. I would probably buy a new rifle and "pirate" it for the action. Is there any problem/shortcomings with the new "key lock bolt shroud"? Should I look for a older receiver for this project. Should I buy a new receiver and convert it? All responses are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Darrell Holland makes a line of Remington 700 upgrade parts that are considered some of the best.

www.hollandguns.com

Also: www.brownells.com

AD