Find
Notify
Tools

My budget M-98 project.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Last September I stumbled across a sporterized M-98 in a Pawn shop. It still had the 8X57 milsurp bbl on it, practically no blueing, bolt turned, drilled and taped, redfield scope base, buhler saftey and a battle worn walnut sporter stock. Being an 8X57 they were only asking $125.00 for the gun so I jumped at it. Love that chambering! [Big Grin]

Then my 'smith said he would install and blue a Shaw bbl for me for $225.00. I polished up the action and said said your on! I selected a 257 AI.

After a long wait the bbl finaly arrived. While waiting I refinished the stock and aquired some brass and dies and loaded up some loads to fireform. Nothing fancy, just some middle of the road loads from a Speer manual. After that, all I had to do when I got it was hog out the stock a bit to free float the new bbl and I added a $100.00 Bushnell Trophy. The end result was a beautifull and astonishingly well ballanced rifle.

While fireforming I clocked 100 grn loads @ 2900+ fs and put 10 shots in 1 1/4" and several 3 shot groups were sub moa. Cant wait to see what it will do with some real loads. [Big Grin]

Just for those who think a nice custom is out of their reach, it can be done.

[ 07-11-2003, 21:45: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr - What variety of 98 was it? Sounds like you have ended up with a nice rig.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I think its a BNZ. ??

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, you got a great price from your smith!! Post some pics of the rifle. You are going to be very happy with it I am sure. I am going to someday get a rifle in the exact same chambering, my stepfather has one on a 1903 that shoots like a dream.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
BNZ was the code for JP Saur & sohn

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
Man, you got a great price from your smith!! Post some pics of the rifle. You are going to be very happy with it I am sure. I am going to someday get a rifle in the exact same chambering, my stepfather has one on a 1903 that shoots like a dream.

Red

My smith was the find of the century, he also recently drilled and taped an M-48 for me and bent the bolt. Total cost was $65.00 and the real beauty of it is so far his work is damn good. Right now he is rebarreling the M-48. He's an old hand with plenty experience and virtually no overhead and that allows his exceptional pricing. I consider myself lucky and would reccomend his services. Im working on some pics to share but with no digi-camera I have to do it the old fashion way.

D Humbarger,

Thanks, From whence did JP Saur & Shon originate?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a custom VZ24 in 257 RAI that is my favorite, most accurate, and loudest gun.

49.4 gr IMR4895, 72 gr Berger Moly MEF, WLR

I let someone who is better shot than me shoot 5 shots, and it got a .55" 5 shot group at 100m.

That gun is so accurate, it deserves a better owner, but it's not getting one.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote