New
Find
Notify
Tools

Customizing a p-14 to a big bore...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm hoping anyone out there who has done this, or owns one, can help me out. I have dozens of questions, I'll just ask a few on this thread:

1) Is there a winchester model 70 style shroud safety, or 2 position conversion kit, available for this action?

2) Any tips on the bolt handle? I like the look of the A-Square Hannibal rifles -- does the design work ok?

3) Cock on closing conversions? Is there one available that doesn't shorten firing pin throw? That doesn't seem like a good idea on a DGR...

4) Bottom metal: any thoughts on using straightened P-17 bottom metal with a custom made longer (and possibly wider) box, for a cartridge such as the 500 Jeffery or 416 Rigby? I would be happy with two down and one up the hatch, as long as I can get it to feed reliably. Using custom drop magazine metal pretty much doubles the cost, not good for what is basically an experiment.

5) Comments, suggestions, tips for this project?

Thanks for any / all answers.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1) Yes, check with Brownells, it is out there but expensive. Thought, why? The safety is very good and does not look bad. Reshape the button. It well adapted to scope. It also acts as the safety lug. I prefer to leave it alone.

2) Straighten the handle and weld on a new ball. It comes out to long for my eye if you just beat the dog led out.

3) No, but one of the expensive ones is reliable.

4) Bottom metal: toss it, or at least toss the rails. They make it to wide. Look at a model 70 for ideas. Besides, if you just take the kink out I becomes too long and the screw spacing is off.

5) Comments, great project for you but do not farm out much or it gets expensive. They also make a dandy 45-70.

[ 10-16-2002, 20:14: Message edited by: scot ]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
This P-17 is a 416 Rigby. ACGG #4

-
Metalwork--- Ted Blackburn
Stock--- Bob Emmons
engraving ---- Guiseppe Forte'

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses and pics.

45-70, interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that, the P-14 would probably work well as it is. I have long toyed with the idea of building a 45-70 Siamese Mauser, as I like the novelty of a rimmed cartridge in a Mauser action. I may consider that, but probably I will go with a big stomper just because I want one.

Any more ideas, suggestions, or your experiences building on these actions, please post.

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,
Wow, that is one awesome looking DGR. I did not realize a customized P-17 would look this good. Please post some more close up pictures. Thanks.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one cool looking .416 Rigby [Cool]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Jack, more pictures please. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Sorry folks---

I don't have any more pictures of #4.

I misidentified the engraver, also. It was my friend Sam Welsh of Moab, UT that engraved the #4.

This gun was unique in that there were two rifles actually made. It was the second rifle that was engraved by the late Gueseippi Forte' of Pindale, WY. The second rifle made the tour of the International Sportsmen's Exhibition for about a year and then was sold by the makers. I had a chance to drool over it for several week-ends and learned an amazing amount from it.

From the #4 rifle I got the idea of changing a 1922-M2 Springfield into a Mauser look alike for the Number 9 rifle. That project was chaired by Bob Emmons.

It took me several hours and a lot of looking to determine #4 had started life as a P-17. With a completely new rear tang, ejector box, bottom metal, three position safety, and double square bridges, it's NOT easily recognizible. It looks more like a very large and double square bridge Model 70.