Find
Notify
Tools

Express sights for Ruger No. 1?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Almost bought a CZ 550 Safari, but after considering all the work one might need, I decided to get a Ruger No. 1 in .405 and take advantage of the throat with handloads.
That said, I sure was impressed by the express sights on the CZ. Has anyone mounted express sights on a No. 1? What did you use?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16631 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never done it, but with the rib already there, it should be relatively easy to by whatever size insert you want from NECG (2 leaf, 3 leaf, whatever) and mount on the rib. Should just have to mill the dovetail out to the right dimension and drill for a lock screw. There are all kinds of inserts made to fit right in to the front. They are available in most any kind of bead and different heights. I replaced the one the front of my 416 Ruger to get a high vis sight. Come to think of it, you should probably be able to order the express sight insert made for the Ruger safari at a lot lower cost than the NECG, and knowing Rugers interchangeable part phiolosophy, I would almost be you could use the same front sight, although I would change it to a better bead anyway. All you should have to do is have the dovetail lengthened away from the lock screw and slide it in.

Come to think of it, I may do that to my custom 458 No. 1. The stock rear sight is the only thing on the gun I don't like.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchan...CG&Category_Code=RCS

This is a link to NECG peep sight that can be used as a ghost ring. Not an express sight, I know, but after using it on my 458 Lott I am impressed.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just checked the Ruger website, and they will not sell the sights for the Magnum or Express. They only do a factory replacement. Looks like the NECG insert is the best option. They are surprisingly well priced when purchased without the base. I think Brownells or Midway probably carries them, in addition to buying direct.

invader66

Is your Lott a No 1 or a M77? I can't see how this would work very well on a No. 1, although I really like them on the M77.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
it is a #1 and they work! Supplied with two apertures (.093" & .125"), it is fully adjustable for windage and elevation. It requires no gunsmithing. All apertures can be removed and used as ghost ring with practice.
The sights came well centered and factory front sight was fine.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a problem but be forewarned that rib on the Ruger is hard as hell and can get a smith in a jam in a hurry if he is not aware.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know alot of people don't care for the factory rear sight on a Number 1, but they work for me. This is what I had done to my Ruger chambered for .458 Mag:

That is a factory high rear sight from Ruger. The scope mount is preserved.

Posts: 99 | Location: Clovis, CA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote