THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what did i do to my m70 push feed bolt??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
yesterday I was riding around with a friend, and I had the gun in the front seat, fiddling with the bolt without paying much attention to what I was doing. Then the bolt wouldn't close, and I looked closer, and the back of the bolt was sidways. Not sure what I did?? I will post some pics tonight.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
The only thing I can think of is you pressed the detent pin on the left side of the bolt shroud. Please excuse my lack of proper names, it is probably the formumulbicator but we will call it the detent pin. This pin allows the bolt shroud to rotate when you want to disassemble the bolt. Just turn it until it is in the right position and it will click in. And stop fiddling.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That little goofy key hole shaped spring loaded part of the left hand side of the M70 sleeve is call the sleeve lock.

You will have to retract the cocking piece to the rear and rotate the sleeve clock wise. When you are close then you will have to depress the sleeve lock while still rotating until the sleeve locks in the slot for it.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
 -

So I have to pull back the thingy with the red paint on it?? Can't do that with these fingers [Smile] I see the firing pin is peeking out the hole in the bolt face, so basically I have to cock this bolt with my hands?? [Confused] Then I can rotate the shroud? [Confused]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Tod

Yeah, you have to cock the thing with your hands.

Take the bolt out, and reef on it. You might have to use a pair of padded pliers if you're a girly man. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remove the bolt from the action.

Clamp the sides of the cocking piece (the part with the red paint) in some wooden vise jaw pads.
I make mine from plywood.

Then pull the front of the bolt away from the cocking piece slightly. You can then rotate the bolt body 90 degrees to screw the sleeve back in place. Part way thru the rotation the sleeve lock will contact the root of the bolt handle. You will have to depress the sleeve lock so you can finish rotating the parts. The sleeve lock will match up with the small square notch in the root of the bolt handle.

Another way is if you can pull the cocking piece back far enough, then you can engage the saftey lever to the middle postion. Then lower the cocking piece down until it rests on the safety.
Then you don't have to worry about the pressure from the mainspring. You can rotate the sleeve and depress the sleeve lock to let it lock back up in place.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh, GOT IT!! [Smile]

Thanks you guys, I just padded the bolt, put it in the vice, then took a needlenose and pulled back the thingy, and then flipped the safety to the middle position, and then rotated the shroud over.

Hey, do you think someone like me could actually cock the bolt by myself with my hands?? [Eek!]
 - [Big Grin]