New
Find
Notify
Tools

please help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just recieved an HS Precision stock for my Rem700LH rifles.The front screw that came with the stock is too long and prevents the bolt from turning.The factory screws seem a bit short.I could use washers under the bottom metal but that pushes the bottom metal so that its not flush with the bottom of the stock. What sould I do?

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shorten the screw which is too long.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
place the screw into soft jaws in a vice, take a fine junior hacksaw and cut off at a length in between the long screw and the one that you say is too short, take a smooth file and rotate around the cut edge to take away the buur and to put a small chamfer around the new lead thread and there you go, of course if you have access top a lathe, even better.

Don't worry there is nothing in gun lore to say you can't do simple jobs like these yourself at home with basic kit

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with HS Precision.Their solution was the same as yours and Mikes.Shorten the screw.Jobs done and every thing works.Thanks for the help guys.

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote