Find
Notify
Tools

Pilkington QD Lever?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted
I am coverting a Rem. 30S, to 375H&H. I want to keep the Lyman 48 receiver sight in place (ghost ring, as a back up) and scope it with a QD mount of some sort. I have a Redfield base and was looking at the Pilkington replacement lever as a QD set up. Found out about this in one of the articles in "The Custom Rifle Gazette" that tomo577 is sell copies of. Will this work on a Remington 30S and leave the Lyman in place?

Who sells this item?

Thanks,

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
OK, found the lever listed in Brownell's as, Hines - Quick Turn Lever. Stock #573-250-110, retails @ $29.95.

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Anybody use these?

Hog Killer

one of us
posted Hide Post
The manufacturers of Redfield type mounts caution against using the scope to twist the front ring into place. That's why I never tried the Pilkington lever.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I used on for perhaps twelve to fifteen years on my 458. It works fine but the front dovetail eventually wears enough if you use it a lot and will require replacement.
You can acheive the same thing without the lever simply by getting you scope sighted in. Glueing one base screw in place and then grinding a large enough flat spot on the opposite screw to allow you to twist it 90 degrees and swing the scope off.

I now prefer simple, low, steel Weaver bases. they are less obtrusive, stronger and return to POI every bit as well.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
I am coverting a Rem. 30S, to 375H&H. ...I have a Redfield base ...
Hey Hog Killer, The Redfield "design" is not real good for heavy recoil rifles. No doubt it works in some situations, but not in all of them.

If your rifle is going to be relatively light, the scope relatively large and you intend to have heavy recoil, the Rear Ring can "push through" the Lateral Adjustment screws while the scope slips a bit through the Front Ring. Basically, the Front Ring provides the vast majority of hold.

Even Leupold recognizes the outstanding Weaver Design by making clones of their own. Plus, they allow you to leave the Base in place and easily use the Iron Sights, due to the "cupped" center portion. Hard to beat them for a quick detachable set-up.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote