New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brownells Aluma-Hyde on a scope - gloss to matte
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any idea if I could use Brownells Aluma-Hyde II in matte black to turn a gloss scope to a matte finish? If not Aluma-Hyde II, any other suggestions? Thanks

Posts: 352 | Location: NJ | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried aluminhyde on a gloss scope. I roughed
up the surface with fine sandpaper and painted.
Bottom line - It didn't work well. The pressure
from the rings will remove the paint and the
paint comes off easily when the scope is accidentally brushed against stuff as when hunting.

Check out Spradlins listed on Leupold website. Leupold directs their customers to them for such finish conversions and if they do it, the Leupold warranty is still valid. I had them matte a Leupold and Nikon. Both
turned out great. Costs about $70 per scope -quick turnaround too.

I hope that helps.

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just send it back to leupold for a new matte tube, it's on there lists as a service ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know why it wouldn't work. I haven't tried it yet myself on a scope, but painted two rem 700 actions and didn't even sand them just degreased real good. Not a single speck has come off in over 5 years. I'm very satisfied.
I also did a stainless steel muzzle brake. After hundreds of rounds it's starting to chip off around the little holes, but another quick spritz and it would be matte black once again.

For the price, I'd give it a try.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you could just have it bead blasted. my brother once had a scope and rifle sent to a gunsmith and had it finished so that the finish on the scope matched. it turned out really nice. until then, i didn't realize you could actually have a scope refinished.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote