New
Find
Notify
Tools

mannlicher stocks??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the attraction? Are there any pros or cons? Do you bed the barrel, free float it? What is its history and origin? I shot my first buck with a pre-64 mannlicher but only because it was my dads. It never dawned on me at that age that it was any different.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The history comes from the late 19th century, when repetierstutzen carbines were used by the the Austro-Hungarian cavalry. These were usually 1871 mauser rifles with shortened barrels. The wood came all the way to the muzzle, with a steel cap. This was to protect the barrel while the carbine was smacking against the side of a horse.

Hunters quickly found that this style carbine was perfect for alpine hunting. The "mannlicher" name comes from the 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, which often had such a full length stock.

The secret to accuracy is the same as with any stock. It must have even pressure completely around the barrel. Whether it is hand inletted, full length bedded or free floated, the important thing is equal pressure. This is what seperates a quality Mannlicher stock from cheap one.

A sturdy barrel helps greatly, as used on Mannlicher-Schoenauers, Sako's and CZ's. The Ruger 77RSI suffers from a pencil barrel and a machine inletted stock. The Brno 22f also has a pencil barrel, but the stocks are inletted to perfection and usually shoot very well.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many times the forends were cut at an angle and rejoined,the intent was to reduce warpage.
So someone must have at least thought there was a problem. My Springfield 03 has had a "Mannlicher" stock for 60 years. No problem yet, but then the issue barrel is fairly heavy.
With my rifle I mounted the rear loop in the center of the grip cap. The rifle is carried muzzle down. The butt is lower than my head, and the muzzle is well up from the ground.
It is similar to the M1 carbine carry, and fast.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A sturdy barrel helps greatly, as used on Mannlicher-Schoenauers, Sako's and CZ's.

I'm looking for barrel dimensions for my own Mannlicher-styled rifle project. Do you happen to know the barrel length and muzzle diameter for the classic Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine (is it a model 1905???) in either 6.5MS or 7x57?

Thanks,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stu C:
quote:
A sturdy barrel helps greatly, as used on Mannlicher-Schoenauers, Sako's and CZ's.

I'm looking for barrel dimensions for my own Mannlicher-styled rifle project. Do you happen to know the barrel length and muzzle diameter for the classic Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine (is it a model 1905???) in either 6.5MS or 7x57?

Thanks,
- stu

Me to ,I'v got a 1904 vergirio that needs a full length mannlicher style stock

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
bump Wink

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stu C,

I have a full stock Mannlicher-Schoenauer model NO in 9.3x62. I will take some measurements as soon as I get a chance.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be perfect.
Thank you kindly!

If anyone else wanted to do the same on a 6.5 mm or 7 mm carbine and post the numbers here, it would also be greatly appreciated.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do not have my little 1903 6.5X54 MS in front of me but I know the barrel is just under 18 inches long at 17 3/4 inch. The standard takedown rifles [half stock] were 23 1/2 inches long. I think it is 5.5 pounds? I sold my 1908, but I have my 1952 sitting here handy if you want measurements from it?

The 1905 model came in 9X56 MS, and the 1908 came in 8X56 MS, and the 1910 came in 9.5 [375]X57 MS, with the last of the pre-war Mannlicher-Sch rifles coming out in Model 1924 7X57-10.75X68. There are small actions [1900-1903], medium actions [1905-1910], and the large action [1924]. From the records that I have all actions from 1924 on were the large actions.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stu,

I have two Mannlicher-Schoenauers in 9.3x62mm.

One is full stock NO rifle, dated 1959, with 23.5" barrel. The muzzle has a banded front sight. The band has an outside diameter of .650 inches, with the barrel slightly smaller just behind it. The forend tip fits snugly around the band.

The other is a half stock 1950 rifle, dated 1954, again with a 23.5" barrel. The muzzle also measures .650" around the band.

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I currently have a Peruvian mauser action at the gunsmith's getting rebarreled to a 7x57.

I am going to stock it with a mannlicher style stock and am getting the barrel at 22".

A little longer than the norm of 20.5" that I have seen from some rifle makers.

To add another question to this thread hijack Has anyone ever seen a 2" burr end of a deer antler shed mounted as a tip for a mannlicher stock?? I saw one last year on a very old rifle (didn't get a rreal close look at it) and it looked very cool! Was this ever a common practice?

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
The band has an outside diameter of .650 inches

Same as my 1952, but the older guns are smaller I believe.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote