New
Find
Notify
Tools

converting to 7mm Dakota
 Login/Join

<FarRight>
posted
If one was to convert from 7mm Rem Mag to 7mm Dakota, what would they have to do? I believe both are same action length...correct? So simply rebarreling could nearly do it. The little information I have lists the 7mm Dakota headsize at .545 where as the 7mm RM has a head size of .532, so I would have to open up the bolt face by .013 in, correct? How big of a procedure is this? I have a Rem M700 BDL with a Sako extractor, if it matters.
Also, any experience with the cartridge? I would like to push a 160 gr bullet @ 3100 fps from a 24" barrel if at all possible. Know of a place I can get brass? I'd like reload data with cartridge specs and an honest answer as to whether or not it would be worth the conversion. Thanks for any info...

one of us
posted Hide Post
i would think it would be a rechamber for you. if you wanted to rebarrel anyway it would be cheaper to go the RUM in 7mm i think. brass etc and you would reach your velocity goal.......
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried a .404 Jeffrey case, ~.545 rim dia., in a bunch of Remington "magnum" bolts and all of them accepted the case. With the Sako, it should be simple to open the snout a bit if needed. The Dakota has less cap. than the Ultrmags. The .330 Dakota brass is quite heavy, European manuf., but I don't know the source for the 7mm Dakota brass.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted, I got into a rambling dissertation about my experiences with Dakota cartridges in M700's that could get too controversial.

[ 03-16-2003, 07:27: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too controversial for what!?
Let us have it!
The people need to know!!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, if you don't wish to post it, send it to me in a PM, as I'd still like to read it. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
Hey John, I promise I won't snap at you if you drop me a line with it. I am just looking for experience since I have none. Any is better than none.

robert_boren@hotmail.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
i would like to read it also. i have been looking at the design and it seems to have all the right numbers. give it up. need the feedback........
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote