Notify
Tools

Some barrel install questions
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
Ok, this is a hypothetical for now.

First, what is the minor diameter of a Remington 700 barrel

Second. The hypothetical part. Has anybody ever turned off the threads of a barrel, sleeved it, and rethreaded it for a action of larger and finer threads?

If this is doable, what would such a service run?

<JBelk>
posted
JoeM--

It would help if we knew what you really wanted to do.

You CAN'T turn the old threads off and solder on a sleeve.....the sleeve has to be threaded on . Fine threads are fine and don't take much depth, but the threads for the receiver has to be full depth. It's VERY easy to run out of room. Minor diameter is about .980.

Cost?? about the same as buying a new barrel and installing it. [Smile]

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Scrap that idea. If you went forward with this idea anyway, you would probably run out of sufficient shoulder material to torque the two together. Start from scratch and do it right! This is not the place to experiment...

regards,

Malm

<JoeM>
posted
Hello
What I thought, but I figured I would ask. I think the best thing would be to get the correct action....dang it anyway. Potentially Another new rifle!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Best to start with a known quaintity, i.e., a new barrel blank and thread properly.

Ain't no way this 'ol red neck Georgia boy would sleeve a barrel, either threaded or otherwise.

Here is a story:

I have a junker Mauser barreled action that came in a box of parts a long time ago. I pulled the barrel with intentions of saving the action. Found a lot of weird things: A 308 barrel had been turned down at the shank, and it looks like the threaded portion of a Mauser barrel was bored out and soft soldered to the 308 barrel shank. So OK, I was going to junk the barrel anyway. Looked inside the receiver. The C-ring had a hacksaw cut all the way through the bottom, to the threads!!! Damn. So I took another look at the barrel, wondering how the joker gun plumber had messed up so bad. Now I notice another ring of soft solder at the breech end. A thin sleeve was soft soldered in the chamber!!! So we had two sleeves: A chamber sleeve and a thread sleeve. This thing was chambered for 308 Win, guess what would happen when a round was touched off??? A downrange barrel.

Mentioned my findings to the gent I got the box of scrap from. He said he knew the guilty party and the newly christened gunsmith could not get the original barrel out of the receiver, as he did not have a barrel vise or an action wrench. So this genius cut the barrel off at the receiver with a hacksaw, then used the trusty hacksaw to split the remaining barrel stub in the receiver, not knowing that a Mauser has the C-ring.

Real funny to me, as the lathe work involved in turning the shanks down was not all that bad. My guess is the genius had access to a lathe, but was a total mechanical idiot and had absolutley no idea of what he was into. Still having a hard time believing what I found. I kept the barrel and should section the chamber area with the milling machine in order to have a better view of what was done and to make a display item. I am betting I will find a cold solder joint.

I have found a lot of strange things in guns that I have obtained to strip for the actions, but this one is at the top of the list.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, color me sheepish! I have sleeved and rethreaded many barrels. I have done this to correct buggered up threads (there was a "gunsmithing course" offered in the city I was located in at the time and occasionally the threading operation didn't go as well as it should have). I have done it to correct threads that were too loose or badly eccentric. I have done it to adapt a barrel to an action with a larger thread (M 70 to a Mauser for instance).
I have also silver soldered a sleeve on and it worked out fine but I don't really like doing this.
I have seen some rifles which have had the barrel soft soldered into a sleeve. One was an Italian Carcano and although my torture testing did wreck the action ( case full of 4198 and a 156 bullet), the solder joint held fine. I still don't recommend the practise though. Soft soldering of a threaded sleeve as a means of retention works fine but Loc-Tite is a lot handier!
Generally speaking, factory barrels aren't worth the effort and cost of doing this sort of thing. An exception would be a half octagon barrel with integral rib that you wanted to put on your rifle or an original barrel with wrecked threads for a particular rifle. Mostly though it isn't worth it since it is just as much work as, or more than, fitting a new barrel and therefor just as expensive.
By the way, we sleeved threads on hydraulic cylinder rods that were subjected to considerably more force than barrel threads.FWIW. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote