Find
Notify
Tools

Cracked Bolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
Before I shot my M1903 I thought it prudent to give it a thorough inspection.

And this is what I found!

It turns out that my "high serial number" nickel steel Rock Island Arsenal rifle had a "low serial number" bolt installed. That means the bolt is the older steel and it didn't get a second heat treatment.

FYI - I think this is a more appropriate place for this post. I moved it here from the Modern Military Rifle forum.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to serious stuff never take anyone's word .Always check it out !!!
Or ask a metallurgist !! wave

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is why I never shoot a straight handled 03 bolt; only bent back ones. Those will be nickel steel or alloy (ww2 bolts).

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
There are many who claim the warnings about shooting low numbered Springfields and Rock Islands is a bunch of bunk. They are quick to point out how few blow-ups were actually recorded. But they are forgetting about the many, many rifles that were turned in before they blew up as soldiers encountered cracks and breaks.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have a RIA that is cracked from ring to bridge, up the side. I took it to work one day and told my boss that I was going to file a claim under warranty (on RIA) (as a joke). He said that 100 years was too long to wait. Of course, many low numbers are ok. Probably most of the bad ones have been weeded out by now. Who knows until it is too late?
I don't shoot them.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote