THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A low-cost M98 deserves low investment... What?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've never understood the notion that once someone obtains a low-cost, but very usable, M98 surplus action, then it requires a low-cost investment to make into a sporter. As if it were law. Or something to be ashamed of.
In other words, because one spent $50 bucks buying the action, then they should only spend the very bare minimum on sporterizing it, so they can have themselves a low-cost rifle. Its NOT supposed to come near a tenth the cost of a new rifle, or some odd thing, or they'd be violating some sort of gentleman's agreement.
That is backwards thinking, in my view.
That you've obtained a Mauser to use means you are certainly well ahead of the game! Take advantage of this oportunity. Spend the money to make it into a fine rifle.
So what, that it will come close to the cost of a Remingchester. Big deal! Don't make the comparison that you could have just as well spent the money on a new rifle as you would on a surplus Mauser, as if because its surplus, then it only worthy of a low-cost investment.
What is not understood, is you'll have a Mauser rifle, by far one of the best action designs ever created.
Dump that low-cost thinking. Invest in the Mauser. You won't regret it.

I do understand the idea of buying a low-cost Mauser, and spending low amounts of money to sporterize it, but in the end all you'll have is a poor rifle. Do the Mauser action a favor, bring it up to the level it deserves. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I am in total agreement... not even the nagants deserve such poor treatment...

Jeffe

Posts: 39670 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me it depends on the task at hand.

For hunting hogs close-in one 98 got some very basic work. Didn't need much to bring home the bacon This winter I had one done-up quite nicely; hopefully for my first Africa trip.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Australia I would say most shooters see the Mausers as either a piece of cheap shit or an action that can allow a custom project to be kicked off with a small initial outlay, especially when compared to a Pre 64.

I think the very large majority of shooters don't like the sloppy bolt.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
It's always been amazing to me how many people have NO idea of the difference between *cost* and *value*.

There are many people that would use a classic car in a Demolition Derby as long as they bought it cheap......no concept of destroying something valuable in the process.

It makes me sick to my stomach to see the best actions ever put on earth screwed up just because they're cheap to buy.

I see Bubbadizing as a serious character flaw.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree totally. Even the cheapest of my Mauser sporters is quite a bit more than a new Remington or Winchester from Wal-Mart, and also quite a bit more rifle.

And I don't do anything fancy like engraving or custom metal work -- just stone it smooth, hand polish, and blue it. And of course the trigger, bolt handle and safety. That's all you really have to do. If I had more money I would put new bottom metal on, specific to each caliber -- but I don't so I just stick with the M88 case and derivatives, and use Argentine bottom metal.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If someone is going to sink $1000 or $2000 into a low end custom rifle, then I can see avoiding a military mauser action that is heavily pitted or has some other flaw. Especially when a commercial FN mauser action is available used for $250 to $350.

That being said, I have had several custom rifles built on select military 98 actions and they are some of my favorite rifles.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two nightmares I have.

One is a fully customised Mauser in a Weatherby calibre [Frown] and the other is customised Weatherby Mark V chambered in 404 Jeffrey [Eek!] [Eek!]

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know why the thought of Mausers in Wby calibers would bother you Mike. I've seen some very nicely done Mausers in the short Wby magnums. Now a 404 in a Wby rifle is a little like a flathead in a Corvette, but to each their own, I guess. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

It just the image, the pairings don't go together.

What about a 7 X 57 on a Made in Japan Wby Mark V with the quarter rib sights [Big Grin]

Mike

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
If you do a search you'll find the prevailing opinion of the demi-gods is that a Mauser action cannot be used to build a rifle unless a bare minimum of between $500-700 is used just to prepare the receiver alone. It simply cannot be done. It does not matter that you want to leave certain features alone, it cannot be done. The receiver MUST be surface ground, the stripper clips MUST be ground off, the safety MUST be changed, new bottom metal MUST be installed, it cannot be left alone.

I had the unmitigated gall to suggest it does not need to have this much money spent on it.

For this suggestion many unkind things were said regarding me. While not direct, most were insinuated. It was an ugly thread.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The thing is , your Mauser can be done on the installment -pay-as-you-go plan .

Drill , tap , alter the bolt handle and safety . Barrel to a caliber of your choice(assuming it fits the action without work) and bolt it into a cheap stock . You then have a very functional , rugged hunting rifle that is superior in many ways to some of the new stuff. And it doesn't have to cost a whole lot more than a bottom end Savage .

M-70 style safeties , Blackburn triggers , and other niceties like new bottom metal can always be added later.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, if you haven't been flamed, I mean really torched, by some of the knownothings in these threads, you haven't arrived. As a rule, I imagine them as low men on the totem pole that are looking down. Thus, when they get a chance to get a kick in on someone they respond with glee. Let them have their moment. Think about what their life is like when they're not in cyber space. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty Gunn

Your post confuses me. It seems you are implying "low cost" and "fine rifle" are mutually exclusive. I agree the Mauser 98 is a fine action and the initial cost can be low. I also agree it is common to have these actions totally ruined by poorly done work, most often by the hobbyist, but occasionally by those that work at this for a living.

However, You do not have to spend large amounts of money to make a fine rifle. There is a lot of work that must be done correctly, but this work is well within the capabilities of many who have worked with their hands. We have 50 years of books on "sporterizing" this action, some very good. People who take their time, and do careful work can make fine rifles that shoot very well for next to nothing.

At a gunshop auction several years ago I was high bidder on a new Interarms Mark X Magnum action. In the bottom of the box that came with this was the worst looking 98 action I have ever seen. No bolt, no bottom metal and the action was so badly pitted below the stock line that I am surprised the 'smith had saved it.

I viewed it as an opportunity to build a jig for surface grinding. With too much work, it was a very usable action. With an surplus bolt, a 1 in 10 Santa Barbara barrel ($19)and a Bell and Carlson second ($68) I had a very good looking, inexpensive, and accurate deer rifle. (I would suppose that if I was paid $10/hour, the rifle would be worth about $10,000.) It was a great learning experience and is treasured by my brother who appropriated it the first deer season I brought it to camp.

The reason we see the "bubbazied" examples at gun shops is because they don't work and no one wants them. I have seen many fine, functional, inexpensive and accurate sporters built by first time rank amateurs.

Roger

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a well dressed mauser sporter myself, so would tend to agree with Rusty. I do have to confess though Mike, I tend to like the idea of a mauser in .460 weatherby...yes i am a heathen I know....>hangs head in shame< [Frown]

[ 03-30-2003, 05:38: Message edited by: Curtis_Lemay ]

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that the Mausers make an excellent custom rifle for very good value.

I had my first custom built last year on a VZ-24 action. It was a nice clean action, the 'smith polished, ground charger ears, lapped the lugs, trued the action, installed a 24" Douglas barrel, engine turned the bolt, installed new bolt handle. I selected a Timney trigger with integral safety, Gun Kote finish, Leupold bases installed and a B&C spiderweb stock.

Total under a grand, that seems like a cheap custom to me. Even the cheapest accurarized Remingtons go for 50% more than that.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Here's an example of what not to do. What a waste of a good Mexican action.

http://24.124.39.10/uploads/260ShortRH.JPG

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do agree that some folks do have enough talent to produce a usable rifle with a low investment, and my comments were not to offend.
What I notice, is some folks equate a low-cost M98 with a "required" low-investment to make it into a suitable rifle. Where they get this idea, I don't know.
I also do understand some folks just can't afford the investment of a fine sporterized M98, and thus make allowance, wishing them the best.
The way I see it, once you've obtained a M98, in usable shape, regardless of the cost to get it, then you're already ahead of the game. Take advantage of this, and "go for it". ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote