New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70
 Login/Join

<Guest>
posted
What does it mean on a model 70 to have a "claw" extractor?

Blue

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
You jokin' me?

I'll bite.

This means it is either a pre-64 or a modern Classic M70 with a Mauser-type extractor. Also known as Controlled Round Feed or CRF. Thought by many (especially dangerous game aficionados) to provide the most reliable feeding and extraction.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Don

Actually, no I am not joking you. Here is the deal. I bid on a Model 70 "Classic" (he claimed) on an auction. There was a photo of the gun, but it wasn't a great photo so it was hard to tell what exactly it was. However, he said it had a "claw" extractor, which I took to mean that it was a controlled feed rifle, which is what I wanted.

However, when it arrived, it was a push feed rifle. And I just want to be sure that what I understood to be a claw extractor is in fact a controlled feed extractor due to the fact that I would definitely not have bid on the rifle if I knew if was not a controlled feed rifle.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
blue, is this a trick question ??
with all the advise you give out and you don't know what a claw extractor is. I'm sure glad I got me a split tail attorney, she's sharp as a tack

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Good luck.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Jimmy

Be careful now.

Of course I knew what a claw extractor was. thats why I bid on the damn gun in the first place.
But now I am sure this guy is going to try and tell me that a claw extractor is something other than it is, and I need smart guys like you to back me up.

Blue

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Some ammo for your fracas from www.Winchester-guns.com:
Quote:

The Winchester� Model 70 not only has a rich history of dependable performance, it serves as a timeless example of what a bolt action rifle should be. The three-position safety is renowned for easy use and shows you instantly the status of your rifle. The barrel rifling on many models is hammer-forged, meaning excellent tolerances for better accuracy. The classic, Controlled Round Feed action is a mainstay and continues to make the Model 70 line the most reliable and smoothest cycling in the industry. The massive claw of the Controlled Round Feed action captures the base of the cartridge securely and whisks it right to the chamber as fast as you can work the bolt. Newly designed stocks are very impressive, providing a sure hold, even when wet. So when the time comes, your Model 70 is ready, inside and out.

<Guest>
posted
Donald

You are a scholar and a gentleman!!!

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the newer M70's have what they are calling something like "controlled round push feed". This may be what you are seeing. Here is info... http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo/features/detail.asp?id=51 ...ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
USRAC also devised a new 'controlled-round push-feed'. Perhaps that is what you got.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue , sounds like the seller misrepresented the item.

Lets here some lawyer talk how your gonna sue him.

Misrepresent, Mail Fruad, etc.

I would have asked alot of questions before I bid. Unless the seller just lied.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Fellows

I have been around guns as long as most of you and I know what a claw extractor is!!!! I just asked this question so that I had AMMO for the battle.

I know what the new winchester push feed controlled round piece of shit looks like.

But thank you all. I appreciate your concern.

As for suing the guy, I gotta be careful becasue my client doesn't have any money for the legal bills!!!!!

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
gee blue, as you are probably seeing red now does that mean a name change is in order? we can now call ya red
So where did ya buy this dandy claw extractor gun. Hell you would have been better off to seek the advise of Kobe and alvinmack at the last gunshow, they could have pointed ya in the right direction,
What's it cost for a like new push feed?
For that matter I got one in a scout rifle I will make ya a screamin deal on then ya could have two.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't get me involved in this mess. I got enough troubles of my own keeping Alvinmack straight.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Jimmmy

It is so damn good to see you back on this forum in good form. I missed ya.

Actually the gun is in minty condition. Not a scratch on the metalwork. Its a stainless 7mm Rem Mag with the Black Winchester stock.

I think you have a good idea Jimmy. Im goona go try to find Kobe's place and tell him to keep an eye on me and stop me everytime he sees me about to do something stupid or worse!!!

Gotta go watch the Minnesota Gopher's women's basketball team in the Elite 8.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, what the hell's going on, the lawsuit started yet or what? So what did ya pay for a SS push feed.

Unless you are planning a big safari in the near future what is the problem.

I also thought you have a bunch of mausers, so why not build a custom on one of those?

We need an UPDATE

A picture for future buying, just so ya know what to look for

just found this in a search under blue, is this actually you blue?

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Nice scope mounts on that rifle!!

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Jimmy

First of all, I didn't "buy" a push feed. I bought a "claw extractor" feed, but what was "sent" was a push feed in 7mm Rem Mag Stainless with the black stock. I paid $405 plus $20 shipping and then I had to pay the ffl guy $20 besides. The gentleman that sold it to me has admitted that he made the mistake and is willing to refund my money. An ffl is supposedly on the way to me.

I still do have all those mauser actions but I want another .338 and I don't want to mess with changing the mausers.

I have owned two pre-64s and a few classics in my time so I don't need a picture to know what to look for.

And yup, thats me in the photo.

Blue

P.S. By the way, where has Howard been lately. Hope he is okay.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thems look like bueler bases and rings

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote