New
Find
Notify
Tools

.318 Westley Richards bbl.?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Where might I find a .330 barrel for a .318WR Mauser build.
I see where Lothar Walther has them but they only show an un-countoured blank about 1.2 in. diameter. Looking for a sporter barrel not too heavy.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LW is pretty accommodating. Give them a call. I'm sure they can do whatever you want

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with Krieger.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
I checked at LW a while back and they told me no dice, though things may be different now. Had a barrel on order at Krieger, but Ozark Hunter was kind enough to sell me one he had and no longer needed.

Posts: 794 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Douglas makes a 333 barrel; has a .326 bore and a .334 groove. They have at least 50 different contours including some very unique ones like pre 64 Winchester, etc, and will custom make any contour you want in their huge CNC lathe. And their lead time is very short.
I only use Douglas barrels for four reasons.
1. Their barrels flat shoot; as good as any and better than most. All are double heat treated and mag particle inspected.
2. Everyone there is super nice. Ask for Stan.
3. They are efficient so turn around time is 30 days or so.
4. They have more calibers and contours than anyone, and will custom turn any contour.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Order a Mauser type E medium contour and have them thread it and deep chamber it for you, that is what I did about 12 years ago. They still show that they are making the caliber. It took around 6 months to get it from Germany back then. It was worth the wait.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've noticed Krieger has shortened their lead time considerably in the past couple of years. The last half dozen barrels I've ordered have arrived within 3 months and some have been in stock. It would be a lot easier ordering it with the proper contour from Krieger or Douglas than to contour the LW barrel from a 1.2" blank after-the-fact.

Posts: 593 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I contacted LW in February, their response was, we can sell you the blank or turn it for you, lead time 6-7 weeks. John McBrayer was the contact.

Greg

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised the LW company didn't give Woody the boot years ago. Under the new representation, they deliver as promised. The finish as delivered is "ready to blue" ...and I've not had one yet that didn't perform beyond expectations.

The types and contours they offer is simply mind-boggling

Not beating the drums for them, just trying to bring old concepts up to date

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And Douglas does exactly the same thing, same or better performance, probably better caliber selection, an impressive array of special contours, and will make any contour you want, and you only deal with super nice people there. Everyone forgets about the oldest US maker.
Which is why I have no need to ever use lw barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK...OK.....For those interested, look up"Long Range Forum" Lots of talk about Douglas barrels and none of it bad...and apparently they are getting better and better these past few years

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I first walked into their factory in 1969 and they have proven that there is no need for any other barrel; and yes, I have used them all. Except for the one which shall not be named.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Spock: "Fascinating."

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16630 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to a guy at LW last Thursday and he said they could get me one (#1300 sporter) in .330 dia. but it would come from Germany and take about a month. So, I guess that is what I will do. Thanks for all of the replies.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PacNor lists .330" blanks, 5 groove, 1:10 twist. They have a page of "standard" profiles to pick from.

8x56R Mannlicher and 8x59 Breda are usually listed as .329"; I've been keeping an eye out for one with good rifling, just to experiment with.

Posts: 45 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Am I right in thinking the proper contractions are: one barrel = bl; two or more barrels = bbl?

Posts: 5089 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am under the impression that bbl= one barrel.
At least in American English.