Find
Notify
Tools

savage bolt release ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted
does anyone know how you can make a savage so you can remove the bolt with out pulling the trigger? have a 338/06 barrel on there short action and dont like the idea of having to pull the trigger to use the bolt release since a none fired round wont eject cause its to long. any help will be appreciated. thanks jason

Posts: 142 | Location: indiana | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bigbore50ak,

I presume that all the 11 series are all the same if they are there seems to be no way to extract the bolt without pulling the trigger.
the bolt release can only be depressed when the trigger is pulled, the trigger engages directly on the bolt release/firing pin mechanism. I don't know if a timney uses the same system.
best of luck

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the Savage action is a "push feed"...no claw extractor...you should be able to open the bolt and manually remove the too-long cartridge. If you can't totally remove it because it is too long, then you should at least be able to pull it away from the bolt face so that you can safely pull the trigger and operate the bolt release.
Jerry/AK

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Lefty223>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by bigbore50ak:
.. non-fired round won't eject ...

Jason:

IMHO not needed my friend, I don't see it as a problem. You don't need to depress the trigger to-remove-the-bolt until the bolt is way back to the rear receiver bridge.

On every Savage action I've ever had, the firing pin isn't held by the sear until the bolt is fully forward AND rotated downwards approximately 1/4 of the way. When doing such you will hear an audible "click" when the firing pin button gets released from the bolt body and contacts the sear release. Please CHECK your rifle safely [Smile] !

FWIW the Sharp Shooter Supply & Rifle Basix trigger use the "bolt release", which is actually a projection off the top of the sear, in the same manner as the stock Savage trigger, so I would assume the Timney trigger does as well.