Notify
Tools

Satterlee Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dall85:
Duane, I may have forgotten alot of Geometry, but I seem to recall the sum of all angles of a triangle are 180 degrees. Help me if I am remembering incorrectly!
Yep...you're right.....got hung up on the "120 rule"...first mistake I ever made...that I can remember!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
4140 prehard machines better than annealed 4140 simply because the prehard material has better chip breakup and does not stick to the cutters like the "gummy" zero condition annealed 4140.

I disagree with Matt, however I do like his bottom metal. It's a great product for the price. Just got three in here, they look good.

I'm continually working to improve my delivery time.
The actions I make will always be fully functional.
Why should a stockmaker be saddled with making a non working action work?

Fit and chamber the barrel to it and make your stock.
Sure I can make little changes. recoil lug length. Safety shape, even box widths.

Cutting some really sweet small ring standard actions right now. They always have been my favorite action. Nice,trim. I've got one I'm going to do the G33/40 treatment to. It's going to be a sweetie.
Later
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
I'd be for switching your endmills out if you're machining preheat treated 4140 faster than annealed.......

I run that stuff at 600SFM with no gummy problems whatsoever. Endmills and their coatings have come along way.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggerguard1:
I believe this was a quote from Tom Burgess on the subject a few years ago.........

Pretty good info.

quote:
Take the diameter at about .200" forward of the base, or at the belt, Multiply this times 1.866025 ( sine of 60 plus one) and write it down, next slide an adjustable parallel at that point in the magazine box and measure the mag box width inside. Worst case scenario measure with a mike outside and subtract the wall thickness of the box times 2. The formula resultant is the theoretical yellow line down the middle of the pavement, so you subtract the interior from the theoretical. Next you measure at the point of the shoulder on the case and run the formula on that number. Here there is a caveat. If you use reloads use the dia. on one that has been full length resized. You subtract whatever the ammount less than theoretical came out of the base end calculation from this number and that is what the dimension should be at the shoulder. The closer a straight cylinder your case measures the more critical the dimensions are for proper feeding. Ie. if the shoulder end was .020 less than ideal then the shoulder end must be less that same ammount also.

I have read and reread this and still am bit unsure if I understand what Mr Burgess is trying to say.

I "think" he is pointing out the ideal geometry of a magazine is if the box shape matches the ideal shape of a stack of the cases to be used. That stack is most efficient and feeds best if the triangles formed by the centers of the case mouth and the triangles formed by the centers of the primers are identical triangles. Since the cases will be pushed to the edges of the box when pressed to the feed rails by the spring, the taper of the box will determine if the case stack widens out or tightens up towards the neck. If the box taper is excessive, the front end of the stack will tends towards single stacking and the cases may release or pop up too early. If too wide at the front, the case stack will flatten out and the bullet tip may not come up quickly enough and will strike the box end.

The geometry (using 1+sine of case base or neck to get stack width) is useful for doing the math. If you understand the concept of using the box shape to keep the stack shape correct to allow efficient feeding, there are a number of ways to calculate the dimensions. (Mr Weibe's example with the micrometer on a banded stack of cases is the fastest and most direct I have seen)

The concept is simple, the "splaining" is difficult. I know for me it is frustrating when I can understand a concept, but have difficulty putting it in words.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:

Your delivery time was never as much of an issue as your tendency towards dishonesty. Work on that while you're at it.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The Question still stands.
Why should a stockmaker burn time making an action function. Is action function not the job of the guy who made the action?
www.satterleearms.com

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:

Your delivery time was never as much of an issue as your tendency towards dishonesty. Work on that while you're at it.

horse horse horse

You got your money back. Why don't you lay off.