THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re Barrel or Re Bore a rifle, that is the question.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re Barrel or Re Bore a rifle, that is the question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
So I come home with a nice high number 1903 Springfield that seems to be a keeper but I have no need for another 30/06. Naturally I am seeing it as a 35 Whelen. Came with a clean reciever not drilled, nice peep sight and a real nice old school Lyman banded front sight, Maple stock and steel grip cap.
What should I do send it out to re-bore it to 35 or entirely re barrel it?
I must say I am leaning to re bore but have never done that and don't know who to send it to and what kind of accuracy can I expect from a bored barrel?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'd Rebore it. Know that I know Cliif is no longer doing business. Send it off to Clearwater rebore
From what I'm told they bought Cliffs business and maybe his equipment as well. no Knowing Cliff he wouldn't sell it to just anybody.

Never used them My self but Never heard anything bad about them either.
$425 rebored and chambered. Not to bad.

No as far as accuracy goes. Of the few rebored rifles I've shot And All were big bore guns. Cliff produced a barrel that would stand head and shoulders above any select grade barrel and more then a few match grade barrels.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I had one of John Buhmiller's .30-06 across-the-course highpower target '03 Springfields rebored and rechambered by Al Peterson up in Riverhurst, Saskatchewan to .358 Norma Magnum in 1969 or '70.

After reboring it was the most accurate medium bore rifle I have ever owned.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JES reboring will do a rebore/chamber for $225 (3 groove) or 4/5 for $250.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
I'd Rebore it. Know that I know Cliif is no longer doing business. Send it off to Clearwater rebore
From what I'm told they bought Cliffs business and maybe his equipment as well. no Knowing Cliff he wouldn't sell it to just anybody.

Never used them My self but Never heard anything bad about them either.
$425 rebored and chambered. Not to bad.

I've had good luck with Clearwater. A .270 Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine to 9.3X62 and an 8X57 Mauser to 9X57. If I remember correctly, the charge for reboring and simply cutting a new neck and throat, which is all you need to convert .30-'06 to .35 Whelen, is $350.00.