New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 after market triggers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know jewel makes the best, but if I only have a $100 to spend who makes a good one? And are the jewels really twice as good?

tia,

ned

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ned, I took mine over to Brileys and it feels as good as the high dollar ones. A lot less than $100.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifle Basix is a good trigger. I think they adjust more positively than the factory trigger.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not know if they are still available, but Shilen triggers have worked well for me.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shilen Standard Trigger Remington 700, 40X 1-1/2 to 3 lb
Product #: 523226
Our Price: $74.99
Average Customer Rating:
Read the Review(s)
from Midway USA.
I have one in my model seven and love it
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't ask for better than my Shilen; shooting Model 700 375 Ultra Mag.

Posts: 222 | Location: Alaska- The Greatland | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Shilen for a M700. For this rifle, I defintiely like it better than the Jewel.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Not sure why some do not like the standard Remington trigger for if properly adjusted can be an excellent trigger. Fairly easy to adjust and there are sites on the web that gives very plain, clear instructions in doing so. Let me suggest that you try a high quality moly grease in the trigger after initial adjustment and then readjust and you will have a quality trigger. I adjust my match Rem. triggers down to about 1.5 pounds and they break like glass and have done so for several years now. Yes, the Jewell is an excellent trigger, and have them, but found I could be a better shooter by spending that extra money on reloading supplies and "rounds down range..." That is what produces good scores, not the ultimate trigger.
You can learn to shoot a 10 pound trigger well with practice.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiteman:
Hello,
Not sure why some do not like the standard Remington trigger for if properly adjusted can be an excellent trigger. Fairly easy to adjust and there are sites on the web that gives very plain, clear instructions in doing so.
dsiteman

You are absolutely correct, I have had Neil Jones tune 2 Remington triggers for me and the are the proverbial "breaking glass rod" down at about 3#.

But I am probably going to change them out because of the safety issue caused by the design flaw. I had one of those AD's on a hunt. I removed the safety without having my finger on the trigger and the gun went off. Couldn't figure it out till I read about it here. Gun was clean, it's first hunt.

So it's not the trigger's performance but rather it's inheren danger that dictates it's replacement.

Regards,
Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Rob,

Was the trigger that "failed to fire" one of the Neil Jones triggers? I have had one Remington M700 trigger that Neil modified years ago, and it just keeps trucking along.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It had nothing to do with Neil's work, he's an excellent trigger man. It has to do with the basic design of the 700 trigger. It's been discussed here to no end, here's a very relevant thread from last year.

700 trigger thread

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote