THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a 22-250 on a standard length model 70?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can it be done?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Winchester built the .22-250 and the .225 Win as well as many other short action cartridges on the only action they had...the long action. They just blocked the rear part of the magazine to reduce space for the cartridges. I'm assuming you're talking about the push feed models.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, I'm talking about the classic. I had to run for a minute so now I'll explain a little better.

I want to build a left hand 22-250 on a model 70 action. So options are pretty limited. Has anyone done it? Can it be done? I think shortening the action is probably out of the question economically. Anyway, some help would be appreciated.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a bolt stop on the left side of the bolt attached to the extractor collar as I recall. I don't have one here with me this afternoon however to check. Maybe a longer bolt stop could be made.

As to the magazine just look into an existing one and copy the baffle. Maybe a new one is available as a part?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless there is a problem with it being a lefty action, it can be done. After all, the pre-64 M70 was chambered in the 250-3000, which is the parent cartridge to the 22-250.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Were any short action pre 64's built?

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Chuck.....NO...not by Winchester anyway.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It's not a problem other than making sure the magazine box is blocked up to fit the shorter cartridge. I think I would block the front to keep the same bolt stroke. Then the bolt stop issue goes away. Being CFR it should hold the round all the way to the chamber. If you want a one of a kind find a 'smith who can cut out 1/4" from the action and bolt and have cute but really expensive short action pre-64.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so far gentlemen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
Yes it can be done. I built a left hand M/70 243 varmint rifle a few years ago. I was able to get a magazine for short action calibers used in a long action that was a pre-64 design. I used the follower and magazine spring from the current model. Everything works fine.
Good luck,
Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I have a model 70 push feed, long action, that is chambered in 243 with heavy barrel. Left hand shouldnt be a problem. The magazine box, does have a spacer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
USRA does not have any long action 22-250 magazine boxes any more.

They just dumped the last of them in the past 30 days. Besides they only had about 17 of them according to the list I recieved.
There are a few out there somewere, check with the warrenty stations.

So you will have to modify the parts you have. The box is really straight forward, just a partion in the rear.

You can use the factory 22-250 follower and spring.

A longer ejector for the classic action will have to be made.

Either welding onto the bolt stop or redoing the gas block into a longer version to stop the bolt in the proper spot.

J Wisner
Pres.
Wisner's Inc

Posts: 36 | Location: Adna Washington | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
I have a 22/250AI on a Remington LA that was originally a 30/06. I still have the original follower and magazine box and it works just dandy. And before some smart a$$ points out that the post asks about model 70's, really the only difference that i'm aware of is the extractor type and the name on the side.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote