Find
Notify
Tools

Smith&Wesson mdl 1500
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,
I have a .243 cal S&W 1500, which I have had for a great many years now. It is a very accurate rifle and very pleasing to the eye, with just one bit of a detractor. Can the trigger be adjusted at all? IT is a bit stiff? I have never minded this but am curious if its possibel.The few smiths I have taken it to have little or no knowledge about this make of rifle.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Coues

[ 03-15-2003, 04:32: Message edited by: coues ]

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I am by no means an expert I am fairly certain the S$W 1500 is the same barreled action as the weatherby Vangaurds and the Howa 1500. All of which have decent triggers on them that can be adjusted to be pretty light for a hunting rifle.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it heavy, creepy, or both?

As Markus said, the S&W 1500 is indeed a Howa 1500 by another name. The trigger has two adjustment screws, one on the front of the housing and one on the back. The front screw adjusts the pull weight (screwing it in increases the pull) and the back adjusts the sear engagement (screwing in increases engagement).

You will need some faily thin 1/4" wrenches to loosen the locknuts surrounding these screws. Ignition system wrenches fit the best.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,
Thanks for the info on the. That is just the ticket.
The trigger is a bit stiff but it is really the creep it has that I would like to get fixed. None of the 3 smiths knew anything about its lineage and wouldn't even look at the trigger assembly. I don't fault them a bit.
Thanks again
coues

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coues, I do have a Howa. I backed the pull weight off to 3 lbs, but still had too much creep. I was going to start messing around with the back screw, when I decided to check the rumor that Timney was going to re-introduce their trigger for Howas. I called them two weeks ago and they said yes, the triggers will be ready to ship in about two weeks.

For $95 you get a crisp, high quality trigger, with a THREE POSITION SAFETY! Yes, the Timney has three stops on the safety lever instead of the two that Howa has. That means I can lock the bolt down, unlock the bolt with the safety on, or just take the safety completely off. Current Howas have a 2 position safety that does not lock the bolt down. Timney even said that they would set my trigger to whatever weight I wanted, so it wil come ready to install set at my preference of 3 lbs pull.

It should be arriving sometime next week. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ksduckhunter
Thanks, I had'nt even considered just changing out the trigger. I will check into it.
Thanks again
Coues
PS the SW 1500 is almost as sweet as my .243 rem 788.