New
Find
Notify
Tools

McGowen barrels, Opinions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have a chance to buy a Mcgowen barrel blank and I have not delt with them before. How is their quality? Any experience (good or bad) with accuracy issues.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Parryj,
I've got to say the the McGowen manufactured barrel are excellent. I put a McGowen bull barrel chambered in 7x61 Sharpe & Hart on a P-14 action, and it's very boring. Nothing but ragged holes at 100 meters with Hornady 139 BTSP bullets.
Hotshot

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I had a 22 Varminter made by Harry McGowen and it was the most accurate rifle I ever owned. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have one of his barrels on my 50 alsakan. i only use cast bullets in it but it handles them very well. very accurate and cleans easily

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I had a friend who swore by them. He claimed great accuracy and longevity. Don't know from personal experience.

Don

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've had one on my favorite deer rifle since 1982. I love it. They did the chamber and install as well. First class.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
I've had McGowen rebarrel 3 Ruger No.1s over the past few years. 2 with heavy weight barrels in 45-70 and one in .243 Win. All were tack drivers. Only shoot cast bullets in the 45-70s. He did a great job on all 3.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have three McGowen barrels

22/6mm Rem varmint weight barrel
340 Weatherby bull barrel
500 A-Square bull barrel

All are very accurate.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
I can't say that I have ever owned one of Harry McGowens barrels, but he did a 8mm-06 A.I. rechamber job on a K98.

The chamber seemed to be "dead nuts" concentric with the existing bore as fired cases had no runout that was visible to the naked eye when spun on the case trimmer. Measuring fired cases showed that the chamber dimensions were @ exact minimum specs as I had requested.

For what is was, accuracy was excellent @ 3/4" to 1 1/4" @ 100yds when the barrel was allowed to cool 2-3 minutes between shots. Harry never promised it would even be that good.(as well he couldn't) He suggested it would probably shoot 2" or less.

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to have him "barrel" an action. His prices are definately competitive for the quality of the work.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those barrels on my old Mauser in .284 Winchester that is excellent. The original owner of the gun had them do the re-barrel and it was excellent work. Shoots straight too !!

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I haved not had one, but my gunsmith doesn't think much of them, but I can't recall the details. I heard of another guy who had, I believe, a 338-06 or 35 whelen barreled up by them. I guess he wanted them to install sights as well, and they managed to drill clean through to the bore, and then sent it off to him anyway. They then claimed that he sabotaged his own barrel or something goofy like that. Anyway, that's what I've heard - take it or leave it.

Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
The posts in this thread talk of Harry McGowan as though he is still alive. Is he? The work he did for me was in 1962. maybe he wonders if I'm still alive. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
25 years ago, I paid $30 for a VZ 24 from Sears. I took it to Harry. He did all the metal work, butterknife bolt handle, milled the receiver, etc and installed a barrel chambered in 6mm.

That is the most accurate rifle I own. If I do my part, it will keep 5 shots in the same hole at 100 yards. I can't do that very often, but that is my fault. This is with a 20" light sporter barrel.

His shop is still operating. I intend to have them rebarrel a cz 550 later this year to 358 Norma.

For a time, he was the darling of the bench rest crowd. But that did not last. Not sure why.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken way back when I recieved my rifle I did a little research to find out anything about McGowen barrels.
Quail aren't they located in Ann Arbor or something like that.........its been quite awhile so I could be wrong.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Parry,

I had a Mcgowen barrel in 7x57 put on my Mauser 98 about 20 years ago. I can't speak for how tight a group it shoots or any of my rifles for that matter. But it has served me very well over the years. My gun smith recommened the Mcgowen barrel. Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Harry McGowen was very much alive when I spoke to him about a year ago.

He can be reached at:

McGowen Rifle Barrels

5691 Spruce Lane.

Anne, Il 60964

(815) 937-9816

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote