New
Find
Notify
Tools

The good ole 284 win ......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im considering building a long range 284 win. I think the case and bullet selection is quite good, but for some reason you dont hear of them all that often. Can i build one on a short action or will i need to use a long? It will mostly be single loaded. Thanks.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Scott with a short action the bullet will have to be seated to deeply in the case robbing you of critical boiler room capacity. I would go with a long action myself.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even if just single loading? I figure if some long range users are making 6.5mmx284 on short actions that a regular 284 would work fine also?

one of us
posted Hide Post
.284 case length is 2.17", .308 Win is 2.015". .284 neck length is .2846", all SAAMI spec. Action length capacity varies somewhat from one manufacturer to the next, certainly magazine lengths. All has an effect if you're going to magazine feed the rifle, if not, COL must allow for ejection of LOADED cartridge unless bolt removal with case is possible.

There are a bunch of quality single shot actions out there that will accomodate you, some of them bolt actions. Your call...

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned a .284 Win Ruger M77 since 1969. The entire point to the cartridge is that it is a short action cartridge. If you're going long action get a 7mm Mag.

Posts: 53 | Location: Olympia, WA, USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what is your flavor of action. that can mean alot..
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely gonna be a Savage short action with a Pac-Nor long and heavy barrel for targets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott, I built my 284 on a Rem 600 action. I opened up the magazine box and receiver opening to 3.0" to allow a longer col. This allows me to sit 154 gr Hornadies to the base of the neck and still fit them in the magazine. With 4350 powder, I get just under 3000 fps from a 23" Shilen barrel. With Win factory 150 gr PowerPoints, I get 2950 fps. If I were doing it now, I would just use a medium length Mauser action, or the MRC short action which will accomodate a col of 3.1", if memory serves. The 284 is a good cartridge, hampered by the rifles it was chambered in. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote