Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walnut blank.
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Winchester mod.70 that I bought in 1979 and have used for most of my hunting since then, and the stock looks rather tired, it is beyond patina. Since I am turning fifty this year, I have decided to treat us both to a nice piece of walnut. Could any of you gentlemen suggest retailers of wood available on the Internet, or previous threads on the matter?

Posts: 19 | Location: Norway | Registered: 26 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.luxuswalnut.com/

I believe they give a discount for AR members.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
http://www.oldworldwalnut.com/

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
http://www.presliksgunstocks.com/

I've gotten my best deals from him on English and it's not even close. Of course I haven't shopped them all.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
What are you looking for? Lots of figure or do you prefer straight grain? English, Black or Bastogne?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Brian Kerr of NZ Walnut

I got exactly what I was looking for and at a better price than a lot of places, but the web page is typically outdated. You need to ask for a blank similar to the ones posted and he will get back to you with photos of the options available. Very Nice guy, and my blank came and was better than his pictures showed.

The one I am having carved right now is still on there! Here it is.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Try WATTS WALNUT

The blanks I bought from him turned out nice on the custom 404 Jeffery rifles.

Nice folks to do business with.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Denli has been good to me and to AR!

http://www.denli-gunstocks.com/

He is in the EU so it might be easier for you!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response, everyone.
ElCaballero, I am not that familiar with the different terms, but I like contrast, and the lines going mostly horizontally.Marbling, is that what it's called? I would like to stay under 1000 USD. if possible.
Rusty, may I ask what grade wood your stocks are, and what kind of finish they have?

Posts: 19 | Location: Norway | Registered: 26 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lala:
ElCaballero, I am not that familiar with the different terms, but I like contrast, and the lines going mostly horizontally.Marbling, is that what it's called?

Here is a fairly straight grained blank with some contrast.

As compared to this one that has more figure and some fiddleback.

This is another straight grained blank with less contrast but it has a tad of fiddleback in the butt area.

I would sure try to look at lots of blanks and get the terms down on what you like. This will help the dealer to find something to your liking.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Try WATTS WALNUT

The blanks I bought from him turned out nice on the custom 404 Jeffery rifles.

Nice folks to do business with.

I would say the least very nice.

Roland

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I paid $225 for this blank, I think it was a good deal. Shop around and have the dealer send you some pics to choose from.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote