New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 Trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got done adjusting the trigger on a 300WM of mine but am having reservations about using superglue in the screws to hold them. Is this what is used or something else. Someone told me once that fingernail polish is used too. I just want it to hold but also would like to be able to get it apart again too. It looks like epoxy would work like the original stuff and not bond too tight but hold real well though.

Thanks.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
BRENT,
I strongly suggest that you donot use superglue on your trigger. Superglue is very thin and apt to get into the working parts of the trigger. If it does, it's time to buy a new trigger. I've found the carpenter glue works fine. This is a case of a little bit goes a long way. A single bead the size of the screws works fine. Once I put the glus on, I lay the rifle on my bench in a horizontal position to keep [Smile] the glue out of the trigger works. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Finger nail polish works also.

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent-

Take a Q-Tip with some alcohol, clean off any oil, etc on the screw "head" & front of the trigger around it, let it evaporate, and hit it with a dab of fingernail polish. I use some shade of red (whatever the wife has handy) to immediately identify a trigger that I've adjusted vs an untouched factory trigger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use red fingernail polish as well.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, That's what I was thinking would work best, the polish. I just wasn't sure how it would stick.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Brent,

or, go to a fly fishing shop and get a bottle of "head cement". This is the stuff they use when tying flies to keep them from coming apart while being beaten against trees and rocks. It is pretty tough stuff, it sticks like napalm, dries fast and works very well for trigger ajustment screw. Acetone will attack it if needed.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent Moffitt:
Thanks guys, That's what I was thinking would work best, the polish. I just wasn't sure how it would stick.

Brent-

Just degrease with a little alcohol or acetone, and the nail polish sticks just fine. If there's any oil on the trigger, nothing will stick. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Degreased, polished and back together, thanks guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I try to stay away from red nail polish. I think it is too gaudy and makes me look cheap. I use a muted pink. It is much more refined.

Fast Ed

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went with this pearl glittery stuff my wife had, it's sexy but not too flashy. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fast Ed,
Good call! This is a fine example of what sets this forum apart from many others...That touch of class! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My young girls insisted it had to have the "glitter" in it. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] They thuroughly instucted me on "how" it was to be applied, making fun the whole time too. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

<Clint>
posted
Brent,
Loc-Tite, This is what it is made for. It will flow even around those small screw threads, but not so far that you gunk up the action, and when finished, you can still flush the trigger with lighter fluid to clear any extra cleaning solvents that may be in there. The ligher fluid will attack the fingernail polish.

Also the ligher fluid is not pure solvent like acetone, it contains a little oil so will provide the slightest amount of lubrication. Uh, don't do this while smoking [Big Grin]

By the way, Loc-tite "blue" will allow you to disassemble later, "red" will forever set your screw. If you go to an industrial supply, you may want to look into the "fine thread" solution, I don't know it's color designation, or if it is even made any more... works great on your scope mount screws too!

Safe Hunting

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clint-

I'd hesitate to use Loc-Tite only for the reason that the screw "head" slot is so small, I'm afraid that you'd strip it if putting any significant torque on it later.

I've never had a problem with solvent/lighter fluid/etc attacking the nail polish, due to it being on the outside of the housing, and running the fluid on the inside of the housing.

[ 12-14-2002, 18:14: Message edited by: Cold Bore ]

<Clint>
posted
Cold Bore, I haven't experienced any problem with Loc-tite blue. It is much less of a "locking" agent than a "binding" agent. It makes something like a non abrasive grit that provides more of a "ny-loc" antivibration quality than a Loc-tite red "welding" effect. It doesn't break down and migrate until you try to loosen the screw. Residual material in the threads will usually provide a locking effect for one or two dissassemblies too.

Safe Hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You gys can remove lok-tite by touching the screw head with a soldering iron to heat it up. It will return to a liquid state and can then be flushed with a solvent. That is the "blue" lok-tite of course.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote