Find
Notify
Tools

AR15 issue
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
I traded for a Professional Ordnance AR15 Carbon 15 at a gun show. Every time the gun is fired it must be put on safety and then back on fire before it will shoot again. What is up with that? Is that a trigger group issue? or is it a bolt issue? or a safety issue?
Thanks!
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
sounds like you have a trigger group problem.
Like the disconnecter is not letting go of the hammer. or the springs for the disconnecters are bad. but yeah trigger group is where I'd start.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
I agree the disconnector is probably the issue.

Take the upper assembly off so you can see inside the lower & the fire control group. Manually cock the hammer while holding the trigger back. As you release the trigger the disconnector should disengage and the hammer should snap forward about 1/8” just as the trigger completes its forward reset (if the disconnector is functioning correctly).

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If the disconnector is failing to release the hammer, which sounds like what is happening, then by rotating the safety lever to the "on" position, you are moving the rear of the trigger down thus forcing the release of the hammer from the grip of the disconnector.

The repair for this without replacing parts would be to reduce the hook on the disconnector to where, as was previously mentioned, the hand off between the disconnector and sear occurs just as the trigger is moving into it's forward most position.

This can usually be resolved relatively easily without changing parts by someone with experience and expertise working with the AR-15 trigger groups.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The disconect spring looked scrunched... I stretched it a bit and will see if that works. It was functioning correctly when cocking it by hand as GunCat mentioned...

is there suposed to be more than one spring on the disconnect?

Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
No, it's not spring related. Here is a way to see if it is your disconnector. Next time you shoot the rifle and it won't shoot again, push the trigger foward with your finger from the back. You'll probably hear a faint clicking sound. If it fires like it's supposed to after you do that it's the disconnector.

Look at the hammer on your rifle. You'll see were it has two hooks on it. The top hook is your problem.

Like Westpac said, Take it to a gunsmith.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Definitely a trigger group problem, but I would suggest the holes in the receiver that the safety fits thru might be mis aligned or mis drilled.

This is one of the plastic lowers??
Not a machined forging??

Is the weapon new or used?

Sounds very much like the relationship between the hammer pin hole,trigger pin hole and safety hole is off.

Can't really tell without looking.

Either post photos, learn to diagnose AR15 problems(much info available on net) or take to a gunsmith who is proficient at AR15 repair.

I recommend option 3.

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
PS
Another thing to remember is that a P O Carbon 15 has many parts that are one off, that is, not normal commercial AR15 parts (note that I avoided the term milspec Smiler).

The old Bushmaster Carbon 15 was somewhat compatable wit normal AR15 parts.

Might want to keep the above in mind when describeing the problem.

Good luck

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
If the disconnector is failing to release the hammer, which sounds like what is happening, then by rotating the safety lever to the "on" position, you are moving the rear of the trigger down thus forcing the release of the hammer from the grip of the disconnector.

The repair for this without replacing parts would be to reduce the hook on the disconnector to where, as was previously mentioned, the hand off between the disconnector and sear occurs just as the trigger is moving into it's forward most position.

This can usually be resolved relatively easily without changing parts by someone with experience and expertise working with the AR-15 trigger groups.

You can also mill down the portion of the trigger that bears on the safety until the proper geometry is obtained to free up the disconnector.

PS
Everyone does know the basic function check for M16 right? Smiler

Not arguing Malm errr Westpac, just potatoe potato. Smiler

Unless components are really out of spec, this is probably a lower problem, just a guess without rifle in hand.

Covey16

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I traded for it and it is used... I don't have a lot in the gun... so i am happy with it so far. I just need to resolve this issue. i'll shoot it again tomorrow an pay closer attention. I can see the gun has been shot quite a bit so i believe it to be a developed problem. The trigger pull is way too hard. I think its had a home trigger job that went south.
Thanks all!
Aaron

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
I think its had a home trigger job that went south.

They say most accidents occur within a mile of home. Sounds like this one occured on the front porch. Big Grin If it's that bad you might want to think about replacing the entire group and start from scratch.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
I think its had a home trigger job that went south.

They say most accidents occur within a mile of home. Sounds like this one occured on the front porch. Big Grin If it's that bad you might want to think about replacing the entire group and start from scratch.

Lower parks kits are fairly inexpensive. Get one and replace all the internals.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
See post above , I don't believe a P O Carbon 15 will work with a standard AR15 LPK.
The Bushmaster version will (mostly Smiler)

Good luck
Covey16

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called bushmaster... they said standard AR parts work... I was going to just replace them all... I took everything apart... inspected it all... couldn't see anything really wrong... reassembled it... function test... also notice trigger pull felt "right" - before it was quite hard. took it out and shot 27 rounds, some rapid fire... everything worked right. I think there might of been some debris somewhere... I don't know but it works great now.

Thanks all for your advice.
Aaron