Find
Notify
Tools

Which barrel length?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Im building a 358 Win on a bnz 98 action and would like suggestions as to wether to go with a 24" or 26" bbl. It will be mostly for Elk but hopefully Ill get the chance to use it on Moose and Bear. Ive been leaning towards 24" for use in timber, which would you use and why? How much difference (velocity/trajectory) would be gained from going with the 26"?

Also can anyone tell me what the throat specs would need to be for it to handle the 250 grn BT?

[ 09-29-2002, 07:32: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10169 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For that rifle I would tend to go with the 24" barrel probably even a 22" barrel would be alright. But at the end of the day you need to choose what is going to be best for you to carry around.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a .358 I would go with a 22", but why don't you make it a .35 Whelen. The .308 case can barely spit a .30 cal bullet, much less a .35!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
A 308 can barley spit a .30 cal, Yea right! [Roll Eyes]

The way I see it a lot of people are down on the 358 because most of them are chambered in short guns so they end up 200 fs + behind a Whelen. Given equal barrel lengths that gap will close considerably, enough to get the same job done.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Westernhntr---

The 358 *can* come close to the Whelen, but only by increasing pressure....which complicates extraction, case life, and accuracy.

The Whelen is a touch long for the M-98 and the 358 Winchester is too short.....the 9x57 is just right. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Start with the 26" If you don't like it cut some off. You can't ever put any back. Personaly I like a 25" on my 338.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Bear Claw, your right, 26" it is.

Im not farmilliar with the 9x57, Ill have to research that one, it sounds like a beauty.

Thanks for the replies guys.