New
Find
Notify
Tools

THREAD CUTTING AND CHAMBER REAMING FLUID
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
WONDERING WHAT IS THE BEST FLUID FOR CHAMBER REAMING AS WELL AS THREAD CUTTING, 2 TYPES , CAN YOU BUY IT LOCALLY( SW IDAHO}.......

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Depends on the barrel steel. I use a sulpher based cutting oil for CM & Tap Magic for SS. You can buy Cutting oil at your local auto parts house for Tap Magic, Brownells.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
300stw,

I like Mobil oil products. I use Mobilmet Omega for all my chamber and thread work in CM or SS. This stuff is available through your local industrial supply company. I don't know what quantity you need, but I purchase this in the 5 gal size. Kroil works pretty good for tapping, and like Bear Claw, I use and like Tap Magic as well for small projects...

Malm

<JBelk>
posted
That proves again the best stuff for gun people is something that smells good. I like Tap Magic, too! [Smile]

For thread cutting and chamber reaming I use bulk sulfur-based pipe threading oil with a dollop of Castrol Moly-Dee in it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JBelk,

Is a dollop akin to a shot?

You gotta speak the the heathen in a language they understand.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Jack you like that cinnamon aroma too huh? [Big Grin]
P. S. I like the old Tap Magic formula much better than the current one.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Well Dang!!

Don't ch'all know nothin!?

Six squirts to the dollop and two dollops to the glug. There's three glugs to the bunch and two bunches to the heap.......any more that that is a LOT.

[Smile] [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is great to have our own stand up comedian here. Well sit down at a keyboard comedian then.

One question though Jack, one squirt more makes it a "lot". If you give it 84 more squirts is it a lot? And how many squirts to a .....mmm..... cup? Want to get this into some frame of reference I can understand.

[ 01-26-2003, 02:54: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Chic--

Thanks for the inquiry. It seems clear you don't know any more than what's in the Machinery Hanbook about weights and measures. (Deci-farkels per fortnight is my personal favorite)

Weights and measures are material and use specific...

A ship builder might refer to a "chunk of steel" as something it only takes one crane to move, but if you get a "chunk of steel" in your finger while side milling it might take a magnifier to find it.

Sqirts, dollops, glugs, bunches and a LOT are specific to cutting oil to a one man, manual engine lathe and is a language only spoken by gunmakers and other nuts.

I'm surprised you didn't know that, given you're a (fine) gunmaker and I'm AMAZED you didn't know it under the "other" catogory.

[Smile] [Big Grin]

<Lightnin>
posted
Jack,
Have you ever put more than two dollops in your kanoutin valve? Holy moly what a mess.
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I'm running flush coolant through the bore with chambering I like Rust Lick WS600 AC diluted 3 to 1 with water. Rust Lick is available from MSC. This was recomended by Dave Kiff of PTG Reamers.

When using the regular method of chambering I like any dark sulpher base cutting oil with CM barrels and on SS I like Relton fluid or Tap Magic. Lothar Walther barrels do well with Tap Magic.

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote