New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No. 1 Questions - rings, scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What rings does a Ruger #1 use? I have seen Ruger factory ring sets where one ring is higher than the other, and sets where both are the same height. With both slots on the #1 quarter rib, I would assume I want the ones that are the same height, correct? What other rings besides Ruger are good, in quick release style?

#2: scope choice for 375 H&H - What is the most common / most popular used for this caliber? 1-4x scope is what I am leaning towards, or a 2-7x as the 2nd choice. This would not be any sort of long range rifle - more like sort to moderate distance.

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a No. 1 Tropical in 45-70. Scope rings are Leupold low mount. Scope is Leupold VX III in 1.5 - 6X 30mm heavy duplex. (Or somewhere in that size.)

Woods gun for Roosevelt Elk. Shots are nominally 75 yds. in heavy cover.

Low mount rings just barely clear the scope rail with the front tube -- 1/8". But it's a nice set up. Good eye relief on the scope.

Leupold is a local Oregon Mfg. It's pretty much the gold standard around here. But all Saeed's guns are scoped with Leupold.

What's that tell you?

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post

some costumers #1 with Titanium Gunworks scope mount (Featherweight edition made from Aluminum bridge and Titanium fastening parts, black plasma coated) and Zeiss 2,5-10x50 scope on rail...

just something nice...

to your question: at the #1, the rings are same height...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Both of the scopes in question are Leupold models. That's all I use.

That is a nice looking #1 - nice mount also.

So far I am leaning towards the Warne rings - I know they are very solid from past experience, and nice QD setup with levers.

I may end up going with the 1-4x, as that is a 20 mm objective - I don't like the flip up sight for this caliber, and I am thinking of swapping for a fixed standing blade that I would sight in for solids at 50 yards. With that scope, I wouldn't have to worry about them colliding.

TG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of standing / fixed sights, Scubapro, it looks like that rifle has a similar modification.

Any info on it?