Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bore Gunsmith Recommendation - 458 Lott
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted
I was able to find a deal on a decent Left Hand Montana 1999 AVR-Stainless chambered in 458 Lott on a #5 contour barrel. The gun seems to be a decent starting point without going full custom route but I have a few things I want to address with it. The factory stock is really thin through the wrist and has a raised Cheekpiece that I wasn’t fond of so I put it in an uncheckered LH Winchester Safari Express stock with decent wood I had laying around for this kind of project. Besides the longer front ring by the recoil lug, the slightly thicker tang, and a tiny rub on the bolt handle inlet it actually fit pretty well. The bolt handle also feels a bit thin and wimpy. Outside of that I would say it is 80-90% of the way to a functional working DGR.

I am looking for recommendations for a big bore smith that can take on a straight forward project like this and know there are a bunch that post here so I am open to ideas. Shipping isn’t an issue so doesn’t have to be local.

Overall I need the minor finish inletting and some semi-basic 20-22pt wrap around checkering.
Some addressing of the bolt handle design...remediation or aftermarket replacement
Installing a second barrel lug
Pillar bed/glass bed/free float barrel channel
Installation of NECG banded front sight, rear sight, Talley barrel band
Tapping Talley scope bases and mounts for 8-40 screws
Cerakote entire stainless barrel/action/bottom metal satin black
Extending LOP to 14.75” via spacers over a red Decelerator pad
Smoothing action and testing feed/function/reliability
Addition of weight for balance/achieving target weight of 9.5-10lb.

With this list I think that will get me to a reasonably priced functional working Lott but I want a one stop smith that you would recommend for something like this.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olson, Plains, MT.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about American Hunting Rifles.

Nothing but praise for them on Big Bores forum ad over many years. The bloke that runs them also post there.

My pay you to put this post in on the Big Bores forum. That forum covers everything on 375 and up and very aspect of guns, reloading scopes etc. and etc.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I am not sure Wayne at AHR works on the Montana actions. I know he didn't want to look at my 505.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
I am not sure Wayne at AHR works on the Montana actions. I know he didn't want to look at my 505.

Does he have limited abilities?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't quite see why you need a "big bore" smith to do that work. Looks like any competent rifle smith could easily do all of the things that you want done.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:

Does he have limited abilities?

I think it was a personal preference but you could always ask him.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not do it yourself.

Remove the excess glass bed it and use it.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Why not do it yourself.

Remove the excess glass bed it and use it.

I have considered it but find that fixing my screw ups could prove more costly than just paying to have it done correctly by a professional. I also think an uncheckered stock on a Lott will leave a lot less to hold on to.

The basic inletting/fitting I think I can do but might just piece the rest of project out in chunks. Most of the work could be done by any competent smith but the stock checkering, sight installation, and feeding/functioning is where the rubber meets the road so to speak with this project.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perhaps he is all set up for CZ and GMA actions.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:

Perhaps he is all set up for CZ and GMA actions.

He has worked on Winchester and Ruger for me in the past.], as well as Mauser/Mark X.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think... many shops will work on just about any action ...EXCEPT a Montana

Posts: 3631 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I think... many shops will work on just about any action ...EXCEPT a Montana

I think Duane is trying to tell us something! Big Grin

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote